16. Preparations

A week passed since I joined the Dark Brotherhood. Almost two weeks since I found out I am Dragonborn, which turned out not to be truth so now I don't know how to call myself. It seems almost as a month has passed. I start to think I've made this all up. What if my 'power' was nothing special but something that mages like Sitha can do? Maybe they were all mistaken.

The only thing I'm sure is true is that I belong here, in Dark Brotherhood. Or I at least think I belong. Seems, I'm not even sure about that.

I got used to the routine. Sometimes I would get to fullfil even five contracts in one day, yet sometimes I had nothing to do so I practiced my fighting with daggers and swords. I already learned what kind of weapons every family member uses. Dar'Zirno's first choice are always maces, but he uses a lot axes and greatswords. Mostly two-handed weapons which is not surprising since he is the strongest here. Nazir favours his Alik'r curved sword. He never uses something else. As he says: Some habits never change. I agree with him. My first choice is always bow. I find it somehow strange and even difficult to fight with sword. I even used bow to fight up-close.

Sitha relies on her magic skills. She went on a college of Winterhold where she was the best and even was a candidate to become Archmage. But she didn't. She said it is because some mages spread lies about how aggresive and reckless she was. I wouldn't say that wasn't quite correct. Babette uses her vampire skills mostly. And her innocent child look. Iron dagger is the only weapon she has and uses only if necessary. Cicero and Morpheus are a masters in usage of one-handed weapons. Mostly daggers. Cicero uses just one dagger, his favourite one. Ebony dagger. Morpheus uses two, each in one hand. One is the Blade of Woe and it is always used by the leader of Dark Brotherhood. That must mean Astrid used it. Did she passed it to him? How did he gain it? I am curious, but I should listen to Dar'Zirno's advice. The second one that he uses is the same as Cicero's. Ebony dagger. Sometimes he replaces it with Mehrunes razor, given by daedric prince Mehrunes Dagon. He must have made a lot of deals with daedric princes. I myself worship Azura and Peryite. All the others I consider evil and dark. To evil and to dark to made a justified deal with them.

Right now, I was practicing my skill with one-handed weapons. I held a wooden sword and attacked the doll. I was already breathing heavly and I felt sweat dripping of me. But I wasn't satisfied how my attacks looked. They were to slow, clumsy and it took a lot of energy and strength to wave with the sword. That was the obvious sign I have wrong tehnique.

"Stop before you hurt yourself, please."

I winced at a smooth voice that came behind me. I looked behind and almost fell backwards as I faced Morpheus only a few inches away from him. I felt his hand caught mine and prevented me from falling. He pulled me back, closer to him and turned me so he was now holding my both hands and controled them.
I shivered at his voice when he talked. It seemed loud now, when his mouth were an inch away from my ear.

"You are holding the sword completely wrong. I don't understand how can you even hold it that way."

He positioned the sword in my hand. This time how I should hold it. Than he pulled my arm bacwards and swang it correctly, but in slow motion. The edge of the blade gently hit a doll making it shake a bit.

"See? This postion grants you ability to hit fast and strong. In other words, you gain an effective result."

He done it again, but this time faster. Now he position my other hand, left hand, just in front of my head.

"Use your left hand as cover. It will also make you faster."

He showed me the full movement in a full speed. Then he released me and took a few steps back. I felt like I immidiatley lost my confidence when he left me.