6. Who am I?

The fire was extinguished, the ashes rose. Most of Riverwood was burnt down. All that left were few people and several houses.

I was still standing frozen in front of the dragon skeleton and stared at my now clean and not toasted fingers.
Strong pressure on the shoulders made me wince. Quickly I turned to see the red-eyes eyeing me suspiciously.

"Explain yourself! What was this?"

Irileth hissed and squeezed harder my shoulder. Behind her came two soldiers. Several were wounded.
I heard them whispering in astonishment.

"Is it dead?"

"She killed the dragon!"

"Is that p-possible? Is she a Dragonborn?"

Dragonborn? What are they saying? What are they talking about?
It seems that they have occupied even Irelith's attention. She turned to them and looked at them in a disapproving way.

"That's not possible. What do you mean?"

She sharply scolded them. I still did not understand what they were saying. Perplexed, I watched them and tried to follow the conversation.

"But it was like that! I saw previous Dragonborn. He killed the dragon and absorbed his soul!"

Spoke the older soldier. His grey beard peered under the helmet. Irelith folded her arms across her chest. She still did not want to believe in their stories.

"Rogen, you were a foolish child back then. I do not believe the stories of childhood from an old drunkard."

She snapped. The old man sighed. Another soldier joined to conversation.

"Well, we can easily discover if she is Dragonborn or not."

He spoke in a hoarse voice. Irileth raised an eyebrow. She did not speak. The soldier turned to me.

"Can you perform the Shout?"

I had no idea what I am asked to do. What is the Shout?

"I don't understand what you are talking about."

Irileth frowned and shook her head. Soldier explained everything to me, though.

"Few decades ago, I think five or six, through Skyrim wandered a warrior. At the same time the Skyrim was occupied by dragons for which until then was thought they are only legend. In fact, people still think that they are the legend although relatively little time has passed since the invasion. This warrior was Dragonborn. He was destined to bring an end to the dragons. He had a special power, his Shout which could tear dragons into pieces. Some said that he had the dragon's blood flowing through his veins. But for the last fifty years, no one saw him or heard of him. Nobody knows where he is now. Most think he is dead. That would mean that you are the next Dragonborn and to us threatens a danger of dragons, again."

This all left me quite confused. The fact that dragons exist is still shocking and indigestible. And now, I suddenly find out that perhaps I am a super hero who is destined to save Skyrim and the people I despise? Me? Me, who lives such ignoble life? Thieving, murder, cheating, smuggling. I have no honor. My life did not allow such luxury that they possess. So honor is something incomprehensible to me.

"How is it possible that such an event before half a century ago can perish amongst the people?"

I asked. This sounds a bit unbelievable.

"Dragonborn is a hero, but only in killing dragons. Jarls gave him many privileges, but he hadn't used them as he should have. It is forbidden to mention him. There are rumors that the Dragonborn was even killed because of his reckless nature."

"And you think that I am that your hero?"

They looked at each other and nodded. Even Irelith slightly moved her head and softened her gaze.

"Can you perform the Shout?"

Commander asked me. A sharp voice was still strong echo in my ears.

"I do not know. I'm not sure how."

I said honestly. I looked at the dragon's skull and... felt.. something. Something familiar, natural. Fus.

"Fus!"

I said that word. I do not know what it meant. But I know that was the word. Suddenly the force of my voice hit the dragon. Skull moved. Pushed by the Shout. My Shout.

"She truly is Dragonborn!"

"Impossible!"

"She has to see Greybeards!"

The soldiers commented surprisingly. Irelith was also surprised. I was shocked. I had so many questions. There's so much I don't understand. But I haven't had a chance to ask them. Irileth hushed soldiers and gave an order to return to Whiterun. Several guards remained at Riverwood as reinforcement and protection. Bandits could now try to catch the opportunity to encamp in this now poor and weak town.

Back in Whiterun we were welcomed by a couple of guards who raised their tankards in the air and saluted us. Irileth would not let me stay in city. She ordered me to go to the Jarl because this case concerns him. He must get a complete report of those who were at the field and this also much concerns me.

Dragonsreach is touching the sky. It shines in the morning sun. I didn't even notice that it was already daylight. Only now I felt the adrenaline easing me and fatigue is slowly moving into my muscles. My eyes were heavy and watery. Bit from smoke, a bit from fatigue.

"Dragonborn? You? How is that possible?"

Asked Jarl Balgruuf. He was sitting on his throne in the same position as when I first saw him. Irileth took place by his left while his irritating steward stood on the right side. I am directly in front of them, like a miserable convict.

"I do not know. I'm not familiar with the Dragonborn. I still don't understand what is so startling and important about me being Dragonborn."

I said honestly. This may not be the best answer. All three of them looked at me in shock.

"What do you mean? Dragonborn is a hero. It's a great honor."

"And the burden."

"You're probably right. But it's still a great honor. Dragonborn is the savior of Skyrim. And I did not believe the stories about him, but now... I don't know what to think. I assume you have a lot of questions that no one of us can answer right. You should go see and talk to Greybeards."

He said. Irileth looked at him and engaged in conversation.

"But, Jarl, Greybeards must invite so that person can go to them. The call didn't come yet."

"Maybe it will tomorrow. After all, our guest is tired. I will not let her leave Dragonsreach until tomorrow."

Balgruuf finished the topic. Irileth nodded and withdrew.

"Ah, yes. One more thing."

He said. When he had my full attention, he continued.

"To show you my gratitude, I will not only remove the bounty that is on you, but I will give you a title of Thane of Whiterun."

I was confused. I did not know why he awarded me with the title. It would be enough if he just removed a bounty on my head.

"Thane is a very honorable title. The guards will look at you in different way. You have a greater authority. But, beware, not everything can be forgiven to you. Also, I cannot assign that title, if I don't know your real name, Runo."

So they researched my documents. Yes. They are fake. My name is not Runo.

"I do not want that title."

I said, avoiding the topic of my name.

"Jarl still has the highest authority. If you don't tell me your real name, you can end up rotting in the mine."

Alright. It was not a tempting offer. I sighed in defeat and said my real name.

"Frais Kriaan-Sil."