27. Calm before storm

A/N: Frais' POV

Three days passed since I talked with Morpheus. To be honest, I didn't even know if he was or was not in the Sanctuary. Dar'Zirno was still in charge. The new contracts started overflowing us. So many contracts, so little time.

I asked Dar'Zirno what will happen now when the mission failed and we did not fullfiled contact's wishes. He answered that I should stop returning back to that topic. He was so sure Morpheus has everything under control. However, I could not get rid of this anxious feeling.

"Any contracts?"

I asked Nazir who was casually drinking some ale from tankard.

"What a silly question."

He said and gave me three targets to kill. An annoying Orsimer in Morthal. He is "singing" in Moorside Inn. Apparently, Morpheus had to hold a lottery to determine the client. The other two were just some poor farmers.

"Is anybody in the Sanctuary?"

I asked while I was getting ready to go and complete my missions.

"No. Everyone are outside, chilling and killing."

"And yet someone always needs to stay in here to cook and broom the floor. How sad."

I couldn't see the look on Nazir's face because I turned on my heel and headed outside, but I could imagine an uncomfortable smirk.

Coldness crept into my bones. The coldest part of the year, Evening Star and Morning Star, was coming.

I whistled and called my horse, Allie. She was never better. When I bought her, she was a bit too fat and lagging but now, she was well-shaped. Her legs were thick and full of muscles. She wasn't a fast horse. Well, to find a fast horse in Skyrim it's almost impossible mission. She was certainly faster then a regular horse, but still not faster then Shadowmere.

I spurred the mare and my journey to Morthal begun. I'll be there in less then three or four hours. I mostly return back to Sanctuary after I complete the mission, but I think I'll stay outside tonight. Maybe I'll stay overnight in Moorside Inn and kill Lurbuk in the morning. Maybe not. We'll see.

I just need time to think. Away from everyone. Alone. I somehow wanted to go on the highest mountain in Skyrim. Perhaps, I will.

I haven't slept for days. What troubled me? Nightmares, my past, my future, my present, Morpheus, my resurrected brother Menro...Better question would be: what didn't trouble me?

A group of Khajiits hissed on me when I rushed like an arrow beside them. That was a caravan that had their camp right next to the secret entrance to Sanctuary. They are nice and kind. It's a shame they are not allowed to go into cities. Not all of them are thieves and smugglers. Just most of them.

After an hour and half I decided to stop and let Allie rest. I needed rest too. I stopped somewhere close to Stormcloak camp in Hjaalmarch. I saw some warriors wearing blue.

I was just sitting on the rock and drinking some water I took with me. The image of Menro returned in my mind. Apple green and blind eye. What happend to him? I needed to know. Should I contact him? Is that a good idea? I know Morpheus wouldn't agree with that. Heck, no one in the Sanctuary would. But they don't have a family member about who they just found out is alive, right? It is my right to comunicate with my family.

What if I somehow leave a message for Menro? The Stormcloaks are really close to me right now. They could easly deliver the message to him. But, should I do that? What if my try to contact Menro will reflect badly for Dark Brotherhood? What if I betray them without any intentions to do that? No. I have to do this. But, I have to be careful about that. I mustn't led Dark Brotherhood in danger.