Chapter 40: Liam

Greg, Gramps and I all cleared and cleaned the dishes while the Niall, Louis, and Grams went out and sat on the porch. I couldn't stop thinking about what it was that got Niall upset. Did Grams say something to him? Maybe Louis said something? I'd have to talk to Grams about it when I was able to talk to her alone.

"Jesus, Liam... You're deep in thought," Greg said as he was trying to hand me a plate to dry.

"Sorry dude, I didn't mean to space out on you."

"Men, they will do that to you. Best if you just get used to it now boys, 'cause it will be like this the rest of your lives. When I met my Emma my whole world turned upside down. The boys used to tease me 'cause they said I walked around with a dopey look on my face all the time. It wasn't that – I was just thinking about her all the time. What was she doin' at that moment? Who was she with? Was she thinking about me? It totally scared the shit out of me too, let me tell you. Now Liam, your grandmother was not the first girl I ever dated. But she was the first one that ever made me lose my breath when I saw her. The only one I ever thought about damn near 24/7." Gramps laughed and looked over at Greg and me. We both were just standing there taking it all in.

"Shit, I still feel the same way about Emma after 49 years of marriage." He turned and leaned his back up against the sink. "I want you both to listen to me right now. I'm not stupid. You're both 21, almost 22 now. I know you've had sex with guys, probably a lot of them with your good looks. But let me tell you, when you find that one guy, you'll know it in an instant. You won't want to just get in his pants and then leave him. His eyes will hold your eyes captive, and he'll take the air out your lungs with just a smile. His laugh, well shit. His laugh will drive you mad and you will try to do everything under the sun to hear it as much as you can. His tears will rip your heart out, especially if you caused 'em. Just the sound of his voice will drive you mad. When you find that guy boys, you found love. Not lust, but true love. You'll have found the boy who you'll spend the rest of your life loving, taking care of and just trying to make him so goddamn happy that you would gladly die doing it."

Greg and I just stood there. I'd never heard my grandfather talk about men like this. I mean I knew he loved my Grams with his whole heart; that was never a doubt in my mind. But here he stood at 73 years old and it was like he had a window into my heart since the moment I met Niall.

"When you find it, don't be stubborn and don't be scared. Fight for it boys. Never let it go."
We just stood there in silence. Then Greg let out a laugh.

"Fuck, Liam, I think your goddamn grandfather got a job at Hallmark also."
Gramps slapped Greg across the head.

"You shut the fuck up. I see how you look at Louis, boy. I might have to staple your damn tongue in your mouth because every time he walks in the room it just hangs out panting!" Gramps said as he finished up and started to head out to the porch.

"You know he's right," I said as I put the last of the dishes up. "He's not going to wait forever, Greg."

"Yeah, well, I don't know what the hell y'all are all talking about. There is nothing between Louis and me. Besides, he has a boyfriend or did you forget that?" Greg said as he grabbed the dominoes and headed for the door.

"Nah, I didn't forget, but he sure seems like he has," I said with a laugh. Greg just shrugged his shoulders and headed outside.

Stupid fucker.

We played dominoes until the sun went down. I loved every minute of being with the ones I loved so much in my favorite place in the world. Watching Niall with Grams warmed my heart more than I ever thought it would. Greg was unusually quiet the rest of the night while Louis just went on and on from everything to how he loved dominos to how he was going to kick Greg's ass at fishing tomorrow. I knew my Gramps liked Louis. He had a fire about him that he appreciated. You really would never know that this boy came from a shit ton of money.