Chapter 18: Liam

I couldn't believe it when Ne-Yo's song started to play. Talk about perfect timing. This was turning out to be the best damn day of my life. I was still flying from the kiss Niall and I shared. By the way Niall had been smiling for the last hour, I would say what happened earlier this afternoon was far from his mind.

Greg sent me a text letting me know he was going to meet us at Louis's once he was able to leave work, but I needed to make one more stop now to pick up Niall's graduation gift. We bought some waters at the store so he could take his pain meds. I looked over at him and he looked so tired; poor thing must be emotionally exhausted.

It looked like he was fighting to keep his eyes open.

I pulled up and parked outside of James Avery. I saw Niall tense up out of the corner of my eye. I knew what he was probably thinking. It had to be running through his head who I was buying jewelry for. Fuck, I hated that he doubted himself so much.

"You want to run in with me or wait out here?" I asked, hoping that by me inviting him in, it would ease his mind. Or, it might make him think I was a total dick for buying another guy jewelry and asking him to come in while I bought it. Fuck me.

"Um, no, that's okay. I'm going to give Greg a call. I can't imagine what must be going on with him and Louis alone in his house!"

"All right, give me two minutes then!" I said as I tried to give him a reassuring smile. He smiled back at me but the smile looked forced, not happy like it had just a little bit ago. Shit!

"Niall, I'm not buying jewelry for another guy. I want you to know that, okay?" I said as I placed my hand along the side of his precious face. How can one boy get into my heart this fast?

Niall smiled a bit bigger and I saw his body relax just a little.

"Liam, you certainly don't owe me any explanations of what you're buying. It's none of my business really."

I let out a small laugh. I wanted so badly to tell him after a kiss like that, it sure as fuck was his business. I had to remember slow...slow and steady. Last thing I wanted to do was spook him.

I jumped out of the truck and went into the store.

"Hello, may I help you?" The short blonde working behind the counter quickly came out and was practically falling all over me. Maybe it was a good thing Niall didn't come in.

"Hi, I, um, I called in earlier this morning about a silver daisy charm that y'all were going to put on a chain for me. The last name is Payne."

The blonde just about jumped for joy. "That was me you talked to this morning. What a wonderful choice. Daisies are my absolute favorite flower. We did indeed have the size of chain you requested and have it all ready for you. Let me show you."

I followed her over to the other counter. She went in the back and came out holding a small jewelry box. After she handed it to me, she leaned against the counter and waited for me to open it. I knew what she was doing but I was not about to look up. She already had on a low-cut shirt and I'm sure she was doing her best to show her assets off.

No thanks.

"Would you like this gift wrapped? Is this for your mother or your sister?" Nice one, but two can play at this game.

"Neither, it is for someone very special. He's having a big day tomorrow." I looked up to see the smile on her face fade. For about two seconds I felt kind of bad.

"Um, not to be rude, but I think I'll just take it without the gift wrap. I'm in a bit of a hurry," I said as I looked back out towards the parking lot. I could see Niall sitting in the truck still and it looked like he was on his phone.

I paid, got the necklace and headed out. Niall was still on the phone when I got back in the truck. I slid the box up under my seat and he didn't even notice, he was so deep in conversation with Greg.

"I'm sorry Greg; I just didn't want to bother you with all of that. I know, I know all the things she said were just nothing but bullshit. Listen, Liam just got back in the car and we're not far from Louis's house, so I'll talk to you in a few minutes, okay? Greg? Please be nice to Louis. Thanks."

I had to let out a laugh. "So how long has Louis liked Greg?" I asked Niall as he slipped his phone into his back pocket.

"What?" Niall asked stunned. "What do you mean? What makes you think he likes Greg?"

I just looked at Niall with a "Really?" look on my face.

"Well, for starters, I see the way he looks at him. He can't take his eyes off of him. Then there is the fact that when he is around him he is a nervous Nelly and talks nonstop."

Niall let out a sigh as his head fell back against the seat. "Louis has had a crush on Greg since I can remember. He acts like he can't stand him, but I know better. I think it's his way of dealing with how Greg treats him. The last few years have been hard for me. I feel like I'm in the middle. Louis keeps falling harder for Greg, and Greg, well, he keeps growing more and more annoyed with Louis. He literally acts like he cannot stomach to be in the same room as him. I'm not even sure why. He used to get along with him great, but then something happened. I thought maybe Greg might have had a thing for him, but when I asked him, he blew me off about it," Niall said with a shrug. "I just hope they have not killed each other by the time we get there."

"Niall I think you are wrong about how Greg feels. I really think he likes Louis...a lot. He's just afraid to admit it to himself. I'm not sure why, but I think he feels like Louis is too young. The way he acts when he has been around him these last two days is just...well, it's just weird to me. He also can't keep his eyes off of him."

Niall looked deep in thought and shrugged his shoulders. I followed Siri's directions to Louis's house. He didn't live too far from Greg and Niall's house.

"You really think Greg thinks Louis is too young and that is why he is denying his feeling for him? Do you think I'm too young?" Niall asked me. I looked over and he was batting those beautiful long eyelashes at me. I let out a laugh.

"No, I don't think you're too young. If I had, I never would've kissed you!" I said as I took his hand in mine.

Niall smiled a small smile at me. Then he said what I never ever wanted to come from his mouth.

"Liam, I need to talk to you about that kiss."

Fuck! I knew I pushed him too soon.

"Do you regret kissing me, Niall? Because I don't regret kissing you, sweetheart, not one bit."

"No! God no! It was one of the most amazing moments of my life. I will never forget that kiss for as long as I live. Of course I don't regret it. I'm just...you see...well. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm not looking to get into a relationship right now. I mean...I really like you Liam...a lot. But I think I need to just take it slow. I hope that you understand why I need time. With all the shit I just went through with Harry, and now my mom. I just need some time for me to figure out who I am."

I looked over at him and he almost looked like he was going to cry. He had just gotten to where he was happy again, so I was not about to get him upset. Fuck it, if he needed time I would give him all the time he needed. I. Was. Not. Giving. Up. On. Him.

Ever.

"Niall, of course I understand. I'm sorry if I pushed you into moving too fast. I really am, sweetheart. Please know I would never want to rush you into something you weren't ready for." I gave him the best smile I could muster, even though inside I was starting to die a slow painful death.

"So we can be...friends?" Niall asked as a blush started to creep up his face.

"Yes, Niall, we most certainly can be friends." Fuck, I really hope I don't throw up.