Chapter 2: Liam

Senior Year of High School

The moment he walked into the principal's office the air turned cold. If the look that he shot me was any indication of how pissed he was, I was in for a good, long lecture. He always started out with "What you need is ROTC," or "Maybe I should just send your ass to military school, make something out of the worthless piece of shit you are." I'd love to be able to tell him not to pull that drill instructor shit on me, but he would probably knock the shit out of me and I would end up in military school anyway.

My father joined the military straight out of high school. He wanted nothing more than to get away from his father's ranch in Mason, Texas. I'm pretty sure when he dies, he will still be in the Army. He is good at what he does; if he would only leave it at the front door when he got home. He worked long hours and was often in a piss-poor mood.

I looked up as I heard the door open to Mr. Deets' office. My father stepped out dressed in his Class A uniform and carrying his Campaign cover in his hand. Shit. He looked even more pissed than when he first walked in.

"Mr. Payne, if Liam gets in one more fight, I am afraid we are going to have to suspend him from the football team. That is the last thing we want to do. We need you, Liam, to win State," Mr. Deets' said as he shook my father's hand and winked at me. My father replied with a "humph" and turned to walk away.

My father hates the idea of me playing football. My grandfather and mother practically had to beg him to let me play when I was seven. Once I stepped out on the field I knew I found where I belonged. Football is all I have. I care more about football than I do boys...or the Army.

I stood up to leave and shook Mr. Deets' hand before I turned to follow my father out the door. I knew he would remain silent until we got to his truck.

Shit! I don't know why I hit Calum Hood. Okay, well, I do know why. I saw the fucker behind the school push his girlfriend up against a wall, and it looked like he was about to hit her. No fucking way I was going to let some douchebag asshole hit a girl.

So, I got involved.

There really was no use in trying to explain it to him. He wouldn't understand. Even if he did, he would still be pissed. It was the third fight I'd been in since school started two months ago. This latest fight was the last straw, with Mr. Deets' saying I might get cut from the team.

Get cut from the team? Football was all I had. I had to get my shit together and get my head on straight. It was the first time in my life I ever felt accepted and needed...the feeling was fucking great. The only other place I felt needed was at Gramp's ranch.

Ever since my father got transferred to Fort Sill when I was just entering eighth grade, I had come to depend on football as my escape from my drill instructor father. That man lives to tell me I need to focus on my grades and go in the Army like he did. There is no way in hell I was going in the Army.

My plan was to take the football scholarship I was offered at the University of Texas and get back to my grandfather and the ranch. Some of my best childhood memories are from his ranch. Man I love that place. I could practically smell my Gram's chicken and dumplings.

I told my grandfather that my dream was football and to get into architectural engineering. He is, of course, one hundred percent supportive, which I think pisses my father off even more.

The minute the door shut to his F-150 black truck I knew the shit was about to hit the fan.

"What the fuck do you think you are doing getting into another fight, Liam? Your mother is going to be devastated by this!"