Chapter 49

"I'm convinced that you guys cheat." Jay huffed. "I don't know how. But I'm convinced."

It's been a few days since we played paintball and Jays still talking about how Ashley and I beat Aaron and himself. But then again we only creamed them because Aaron wouldn't stop laughing, exposing their position. Now if Jay had split from Aaron, instead of sticking with him, it might have been a different story.

"Jason, quit bitching and enjoy the nice day." Ashley scowled her husband. Jay sighed and mumbled something under his breath. Ashley sat up and glared at him. "Seriously. When I get home I'll smash that drum set."

"I just got it." He returned the glare.

"I know. But if you want to be a baby, I'll give you something to cry about."

"Can't you just spank me?" He winked.

Ashley smirked. "I don't spank babies."

"Ice cream!?" Aaron shouted walking outside with a tray or ice cream. Billy looked up from his phone and jumped up, running towards Aaron. "Dude! Only one!" Aaron scowled Billy who had grabbed two ice creams.

"Nah, he can have Zak's." Ashley smiled at them. Aaron laughed and walked over towards us. "Here you go, Munchkin." 

"Thank you." I accepted the bowl he had in his hand for me.

"Would you guys like something?"

"Nah, we're good." Jay smiled. "We'll pick something up later."

"When's thing coming over?" Ashley asked curiously. Billy and I laughed.

"Thing?" Aaron questioned.

"Yes. Thing." She rolled her eyes. "When does thing arrive?" Aaron just stood there when his brow raised looking at her.

"She means Zak." Jay answered Aaron question.

"Oh." He said simply. In the meantime Billy and I were in a fit of giggles. Ashley had been referring to Zak as 'thing' recently. No one knew why, but Ashley was known for random stuff like this so we didn't question it. "He should be here any minute."

"I hope thing gets here soon." She sighed.

"Why do you call me thing?" Zak asked walking into the backyard.

She smiled. "Dunno. But it suits you."

Zak just rolled his eyes and walked towards Billy and Aaron. "Sorry bro. I saved you an ice cream, but Billy took it."

"How rude." He playfully glared at Billy, who in return flashed him a wide smile and quickly shoved the rest of his ice cream in his mouth. 

"Ahh! Brain freeze!" He screamed.

"That's what you get." I told him between laughing fits.

"Dude, your face!" Ashley giggled.

"Looks like we have a bunch of giggling girls here tonight." Jay laughed.

"That a problem Mr. Wasley?" Ashley asked.

"No Mrs. Wasley."

"Good. Now go sit down like a good boy." He shook his head and walked towards the guys, while Ashley turned to me. "Have you heard from Nick and Griffin today?"

"Yes." I nodded. "Nick called me this morning. Griffin had a bad night last night. Nick had been up with him since three in the morning. But I guess Griffin hasn't been sleeping so good since he's been gone."

She frowned. "Poor peanut. Griffin not Nick." She clarified. "And he's never had a problem sleeping at Billy's or my place."

"Right." I agreed. "Anyway he called me to let me know and of course Griffin had to talk to momma too. Then the phone call turned into a video call because Griffin was having a fit because he wanted to see me."

She smiled. "He loves his momma."

"Yes he does." I replied cheerfully. "After I said goodbye to them Nick texted me saying Griffin had fell asleep. We've made it a plan to video chat everyday during bed time so hopefully Griffin will sleep."

"I bet he misses you."

"I'm sure of it. And I miss him as well."

"But you're enjoying the break you're getting right?"

"Yeah I am. But I still miss him. He is my baby after all."

"I hear you. Well I'm not a mother but I know where you're coming from. I don't know how some people can leave their children for months at a time."

"Some people don't have a choice. Like military families."

"Yeah I get that and that's completely understandable. But I mean the people who constantly go on vacations and leave their kids behind." She growled in frustration. "Subject change please. I can go on and on about this. I'll go crazy."

"Crazier." I joked nudging her a little.

"You get me." She smiled.

"How's the photography coming?" I asked.

She smiled happily at the subject change. "It's coming around pretty good actually. I'm glad I was able to come to Vegas to get some nature shots. Sucks that I have to leave soon though."

"I know." I frowned. "It's been nice having you around."

"It's been nice to be in the company of a girl that gets me." She laughed. "The girls I 'work' with." She used air quotes over the word work making me laugh at little. "Are so stuck up it's sicken. They think they're better than everyone and in reality they really aren't. We all die in the end."

"I think I might take a break from the show for awhile." I blurted out before I could stop myself.

"Why?" I could see the curiosity in her eyes as she asked. I sat there and tired to word why I wanted to do this.

"I want to spend some time with Nick and Griffin." Was the best way I could say it.

"Like be a family."

"Yes. I want to stay in Boston with Nick for awhile and see if we can actually work on us. I want to know if he's a man of his word. I know the distance between us is hard right now, and that's why I want to go stay with him."

"I think that's a great idea, Babycakes." She turned to the guys who were laughing at something, then turned back to me. "But what about the guys? What will they say?"

"Aaron and Billy already know." I told her glancing at them quickly. "Aaron thinks I should do it and Billy said he'll miss me but wants me to be happy."

"How will you tell Zak? You know he'll be crushed." I winced and she continued. "Not because the guys in love with you, but because you've become and important member of the team."

I sighed and ran a hand down my hair. "I know."

"So when do you plan on leaving?"

"I'm not sure yet." I answered honestly. "I need to let Zak know first." She nodded her head in agreement. "I'm just not sure how or when."

Ashley and I spent the rest of the time outside talking about how I could tell Zak that I was leaving. She thought right then and there would be the best time to say something, but I disagreed. We were having a nice relaxing evening by the pool. I'd hate to ruin everyone's good spirits with this. Out of the whole gang, Zak's reaction scared me the most. I had to time this perfectly. I wasn't leaving the crew. I loved them far to much to walk away. But I did need a break from the investigations, as they were getting to me. I had to speak to Zak about returning to my original job of being just a photographer. Sure I loved investigating with the guys but I didn't feel like it was for me. Sure I'd go in if they needed me to. But to constantly investigate; no way.

The night ended with the six of us sitting around the fire telling stories and laughing at jokes. Nick video called me at Griffin's bed time and I spend ten minutes talking to my son in hopes of him getting some much needed rest. When I got off the phone I quickly joined in their conversations about sand and flip flops.

I still handed told Nick what I wanted to do. I was afraid he would tell me not to and want me to stay in Las Vegas. But I guess I'll have to tell him soon and hope he wants this just as bad as I do. I'll have to tell him before I speak to Zak. It would be pointless to talk to Zak first, because what if Nick doesn't want me there; even if it is just for a short time. I grew nervous, but I knew I would have to suck up my nervousness and talk to him soon.