Chapter 51

I pulled into the familiar driveway and parked my car. I killed the engine and sighed as I looked at the house. Was I ready to be here? I asked myself. Could I do this? I tried to push the negative thoughts out of my head before I got out of the car. I stared up at the house, one I once shared with Nick.

It hadn't changed much. The white gate fencing off the property was still broken and needed fixing. Better yet it should just be replaced completely it because it's older than I am. The house was a gross brown color. It needed a good pressure washing to take off the years of muck and bring out the original tan color. The garage still looked like it wasn't being used, but I did notice that the side door had been replaced.

I glanced at my bags in the back seat of my car and debated on whether I should bring them in with me or not. Sure, I wanted to work on things with Nick, but I wasn't sure if I'd be sleeping here or a hotel. I wanted to stay but at the same time I didn't want to impose. I could easily get a hotel room. It wouldn't bother me. I decided to leave everything in the car. I walked through the broken gate door and up to the front door. I didn't know if I should knock or not so I hesitated. I ended up pushing the door open and stepping inside the house.

"Mommy!" I heard and instantly felt little arms wrap around my hips. I looked down at Griffin and smiled.

"Hi baby."

"Hi!" He smiled and quickly ran off. I laughed and closed the door. I made my way down the hall looking for Nick, so he would know that I was here. I could hear talking coming from the kitchen so I walked that way. I stood in the doorway and just watched him. He was standing by the sink using his shoulder to hold his phone to his ear, a spatula in his hand and the handle for the skillet in the other. In front of him were three plates.

"No she's not here yet." He said into the phone. "I'm not sure. Should be any minute." He paused to listen to the other person. "I'll ask her when she gets here. Okay. Yeah. See you later." He hung up his phone and placed it down on the counter. 

"Ask me what?" I asked.

**Nick's Pov**

I had just put the grilled cheese into the plates for the kids, when I heard her voice. I spun around and smiled at her.

"Hi." I breathed.

"Hi. Ask me what?"

"Uhm Veronique wants to know if she can take Griffin with her for the night? She's picking up the girls later and they want him to sleep over. I told her I'd ask you. They've been asking since they got here."

"Sure." She nodded. "I trust her and the girls haven't really seen him much since we've been away so."

I walked across the kitchen quickly and wrapped my arms around her waist. She hugged me back without hesitating. "I'm glad your here." I told her as I pulled away.

"Are you. Are you really?" She joked. It took me a minute to realize she was joking around.

"Yes. I've missed you."

"It's been a week."

"I've missed you being home." I walked over to where the kids plates where set them on the table. "Lunch!"

Little feet ran into the kitchen. The three kids took a seat at the table and began to eat.

"A late lunch?" Saige asked.

"We had a late start this morning." I told her rubbing the back of my neck.

"Better late than never." She smiled.

"Daddy, is Griff coming with us to mommy's tonight?" Chloe asked.

"He is." I nodded. The girls cheered. I laughed and looked back over at Saige, who stood there smiling. I glanced at the floor by her feet and then down the hall. "Where are your bags?"