Chapter 39

Griffin was prepped and ready for surgery. They were going to remove he tumor or at least most of it. He would then have to go through radiation therapy after. Nick and I both kissed our sleeping son and watched as they wheeled him down the hall and into the operating room. It was a scary moment. No parent wants to see their child put to sleep or head for surgery. I bit my lip and walked to the waiting room. Nick followed behind me.

It was only us here today. Zak, Aaron, and Billy were reviewing evidence from the investigation a few days ago and Ashley and Jay were in Tennessee. I wished I was in Boston, where it would be closer to see them. I needed my best friends right now.

Nick wrapped his arms around me and pulled me to him. I buried my head in the side of his neck and tired not to cry. I was worried. I wished I could trade places with my son. He was so young and had so much to life for. I would trade spots with him in a heartbeat.

"He's going to be fine." Nick reassured me, rubbing my back slightly. I wasn't completely convinced. And I wouldn't be until he was home with me. My phone went off and Nick sighed. I moved away and answered it.

"How are things?" Aaron asked.

"He went in for surgery. We're waiting." I answered. "Hows the evidence coming a long?"

"Slow." He groaned. "We're all worried. We can't concentrate on anything."

"I know the feeling." I said reaching for Nick's hand.  He gave me a small smile as I laced our hands together.

"How are you guys holding up?"

"Worried."

"I know Munchkin. I would head down there to keep you company but I think you and Nick need to be alone. Call me when he's out."

"Okay." I told him. We hung up and I turned my attention to Nick. "You okay?" I asked.

He nodded, but didn't look at me. "I'm guessing Aaron and Zak are on their way?" He said. I couldn't help but pick up on the annoyance in his voice. I pulled my hand away from his and frowned. His eyes snapped to me and he reached for my hand. I pulled it away from him.

"What's got you annoyed?"

"Them."

"What about them?"

"They're always around Saige. I can never get any alone time with you. They always show up and I'm tired of it."

"Wow." I mumbled standing up and walking to the other end of the waiting room and sitting down on a chair. "And for your information, Aaron called to ask how everything was. He's not coming.No one is. But it's nice to know that you find my friends annoying. Remember they were your friends at one point in time. And lets not forget Aaron and Zak have been there to help me raise Griffin while you did God knows what." I huffed and folded my arms over my chest. 

The room was silent as I flipped through one of the magazines next to me. I refused to look at Nick or speak to him. I wasn't dealing with his crap today. I had too much on my mind to worry about him and his issues with the guys. No I did not see a problem with the guys always being around. Simply because they cared for me and Griffin. Not like they were trying to get between Nick and I's relationship. I was still living with Aaron so it wasn't like Nick and I could have the alone time like he mentioned.

I heard Nick clear his throat but I ignored him. I heard the chair move, but I kept my eyes on the article in front of me. I didn't care what it was saying but I tried to focus on it. I heard footsteps but payed no attention and turned the page.

"You mad at me?" He asked.

"No. I'm annoyed with you." I rolled my eyes.

He sighed. "I don't want to fight. Not today. Not ever."

"Well then." I said tossing the magazine on the pile next to me.

"I love you. You know that."

"I know that. But that doesn't mean I can't be annoyed with you."

"But it should make it less likely for you to me." He nudged my shoulder playfully. I shot him a glare.

"I'm not in the mood for this today. I'm worried and stressed out. I just want to see my baby and hold him tight and give him a million kisses and take his pain away and go home."

"I can take the stress away." He said wiggling his eyebrows up and down. I laughed and he smiled.

"You are such dork."

"I'm your dork though." 

"Yes." I nodded my head.

"You know it's been two years since we've had some bow chicka wow wow." He winked.

"Oh my God." I said hiding my face. Leave it to him to bring that up in the middle of a hospital.

"You know you want me." He nudged me playfully. He wasn't lying, but I had other things besides sex on my mind.

"I'm not going to lie. Of course I do." He smiled happy with himself. "I'm just not sure it's a good time. Especially with everything that's going on with Griffin."

"I know." He sighed and looked down.

I rolled my eyes and placed my hands on the sides of his face and made him look at me. "I'm not saying we'll never have sex again. I'm just saying that all my attention is going on our son and making sure he's okay. I would hate to get pregnant again while he's going through this."

"I understand that. Griffin should be number one."

"Well you have the girls."

"Of course and I love them with all my heart. But Griffin needs me more than they do right now. If it was one of them going through this I would be there with them."

"I love you."

"I love you too. Very much." He leaned forward and kissed my lips gently.

We sat there in a comfortable silence for a while before.....

"Mr. Groff. Miss Styles." We turned our attention to the man standing before us. "Griffin is fine. He is in his room recovering. You can go see him." He smiled and walked away. Nick and I shot up from our seats and started walking to our sons room.

"I hate when they call you Miss Styles." Nick groaned. "I can't wait for you to be Mrs. Groff." I shook my head and kept my mouth shut. I had agreed to give us another shot, but I didn't agree to the engagement. Stupid I know, but I still needed to be able to trust him.