Chapter 41

We drove in silence for a while before she pulled into a part of town I had never been to before. I looked at her funny, but she ignored me and focused on where she was going. I mentally checked the buildings as we drove by them. She pulled into a parking lot and found a spot right away. She parked and turned off the car before turning to me with a smile on her face. She reached for the door handle and got out. I followed her, since I had no idea where we were at. We walked towards a building. 

As we entered the building I could tell we were at a fancy restaurant. The hostess smiled warmly at us as we approached her podium. "How may I help you this evening?" She asked.

"Reservation for Groff." Veronique spoke confidently.

The hostess flipped threw a book on his podium. She stopped and traced her index finger down the page and smile again. "Yes. Follow me, please." She turned and grabbed two menus and started to walk away. We followed her. She led us to a table and placed the menus on the table. "Someone will be with you shortly." She smiled one more time before walking back to where she was when we walked it.

"I love this place." Veronique smiled picking up a menu.

"I've never been." I told her honestly.

"You'll love it." She glanced at me from over her menu. I grabbed the other one and skimmed though it.

"What's good here?" I asked her because I had no idea how the food was, and some of the names looked foreign to me.

She closed her menu and placed it down on the side of the table. "The chicken is to die for. That's what I'm getting."

"I might as well too." I laughed. 

"Smart choice." She winked.

A waitress arrived shortly and took our drink orders. When she returned with our drinks we ordered our food. Not long after she returned back with my salad and Veronique's coleslaw. I dug into my salad rather quickly and Veronique laughed.

"What?" I questioned.

"I see why you and Nick are perfect for each other." I raised a brow and urged her to continue. She giggled at my facial expression and went on. "Every time Nick and I would come out to eat he would order a salad and then as soon as it would arrive he was scarf it down. Like he was starving."

"Oh." I replied picking up a small tomato with my fork and shoving into my mouth.

"I see a lot of similarities between the two of you."

"I hear that a lot."

"It's true! Seeing you two together warms my heart." She flashed me a huge grin, showing off her perfectly white teeth. "I'm so glad he found you."

"You are?"

"Of course."

I had to ask her, even though I was sure it was asked before. "So you don't hate me?"

"Why would I?" I shrugged my shoulders. "It might seem a bit odd but I liked you from the beginning."

"Really?"

"Yes." She laughed. "That day you met him, things weren't the best for us. I'm ashamed to say that I was having my doubts. That's when I met Brian. So when I saw the picture of the two of you on his page I instantly knew you were the one for him. He looked so happy. I haven't seem him smile like that in a long time."

"Veronique." I began to say but she shook her head and spoke again.

"I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that by me seeing that picture it made me leave. No that wasn't the case at all. I was planning on the divorce before. The documents were ready to go I just needed him to sign and of course he didn't know, until I called him." She paused and pushed her empty bowl to the side. "I stand by my decision. I love Brian, and I see how happy and in love Nick is with you. You guys are perfect for each other."

"You think so?"

"I know so." She smiled once again as our food arrived. I smiled to myself and started digging into my plate, as Veronique did the same.

Throughout dinner we chatted about work and the kids. It was nice to get out for the evening. I didn't have to worry about Griffin because he was with Nick and I was sure he was probably in bed by now. I wanted Griffin to spend as much time with Nick and his sisters as he could before we had to head back to Las Vegas so he could begin his treatment. Sometimes I hated being so far from them, but I wasn't ready to move back to Boston just yet.