Epilogue: Earl Ferris

The sky was sporting a mixture of pink and orange as I walk inside the private memorial. I said I am to arrive 4 in the afternoon but I underestimated the Manila traffic, buti na lang hindi nalanta ang dala kong sunflowers.

I wiped my sweat as I take double steps towards her grave. The memorial was quiet, just the swishing of the cold breeze of the afternoon filled my ears. I huffed my quick breathing out before I sat in front of her tombstone, removing the scattered leaves and dirt that's covering her name before placing the flowers on top of it. How many years have passed since then? Two? Three?

I was about to say a brief prayer for her soul when a teenie, weenie, high pitched voice called me, "Daddy! Daddy!" I looked behind and saw my beautiful family walking towards me.

"Celestine." I mouthed. My daughter ran upon seeing me and welcomed me with a big hug. She was still dressed in her cute school uniform.

"Nagutom eh. Naghanap pa kami ng mabibilhan ng makakain." My wife defensively said answering the things I'm about to ask.

I chuckled before I pulled her to sit beside me habang nasa kandungan ko ang anak namin na busy kumakain. "Akala ko nga magagalit ka na dahil late ang dating ko." I said before planting a kiss on her forehead.

She closed her eyes for a moment, like she usually does. I won't get tired seeing her reaction with the little things I do to show her how much I love her.

"Daddy, is Nana Tessa ever coming home?" Our daughter, Marcia Celestine, asked, curious little angel she is.

"Nana Tessa is with the angels anak. She won't be coming home but she'll guide and watch over us always." I immediately replied.

Grandma Tessa's been fond of MarCe kahit hindi pa siya naipapanganak noon. I remembered how she spoiled Aya during her pregnancy. She would buy things kahit hindi naman sinabi ng asawa ko, madalas pa siyang bumisita sa bahay para lang samahan si Aya. You can say that Diamond is her favourite granddaughter-in-law.

We stayed at the memorial a little longer before Aya decided that we should head home. May meeting pa kasi ako bukas ng umaga kasama sila Kuya Lev, Kuya Cube at Brinx. We are planning to put up another charity hospital in Laguna. Actually, I was thinking that once the hospital boomed to a success, we can put up a cancer facility with it. We can offer procedures, therapies and consultations cheaper than the standard costs.

Gusto kong makatulong sa lahat ng posibleng paraan sa mga taong may cancer. Because I was once in their families' shoes too. At wala na atang papantay sa kaba at niyerbos na inabot ko ng nalaman kong may Leukemia ang babaeng mahal ko.

I died a hundred deaths upon seeing her weak and struggling on her hospital bed. And I don't want to ever experience that again, not with her or with our daughter MarCe. That's why I see to it that we are medically checked annually.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray~" I sang, sending MarCe to dreamland.

She tucked herself beside me, burying her face in my chest. I tapped her legs, still humming until I felt her relax. Nakatulog na siya ng mahimbing. Bumalik na ako sa kwarto at nadatnan ko ang asawa ko na nagbabasa sa kama.

I immediately propped myself beside her, running my index finger down her body. Tumigil siya sa pagbabasa at tumitig sa akin. "Ferris, nagbabasa ako." Suway niya sa akin na may ngiti sa mukha.

I started leaving kisses on her bare shoulder, making her shudder in response. "Magbasa ka lang sunshine. Don't mind me." I whispered, planting soft pecks on her arm.

Her breaths started to get ragged before she closed the book she's holding and straddled me. She kissed me hungrily, drowning me with her taste and her scent. I hold her tiny waist, as I dive into her min blowing kisses.

"MarCe is already seven. Gusto mo sundan na natin?" I whispered, tracing her jawline with my tongue. She moaned before she claimed my lips again. Doon pa lang alam ko na ang sagot niya.

We ended up panting and naked and buried under the sheets. I gathered her close to me before planting a swift kiss on her forehead.

"Thank you Diamond." I found myself saying. She looked at me weirdly, her brows furrowing.

"For what?"

"For everything. If I list it all down now, I'm afraid aabutin tayo ng next year." I japed.

Napahagikgik siya saka sumiksik sa'kin mas lalo. "Alam mo namang ako dapat ang may ipagpasalamat sa'yo. I basically owe you my life."

"You have given your life for me and MarCe. You're the best wife and mother to our daughter at wala na kaming hihingilin pa."

I saw her heartfelt smile before she rested her head on my chest. Damn, I am one lucky man to have her for the rest of my life. Even if I had to redo my life and start from the beginning, magpupunta at magpupunta pa rin ako sa grocery store kung saan nagsimula ang lahat. She was my own piece of heaven, my life, my heart, my Diamond.

Stonehearts 4: DiamondOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara