Chapter 29

**Alex’s POV**

“RAH!”

I scream and stumble backwards, falling and landing on my butt. George bursts out laughing.

“THAT WAS NOT FUNNY!” I yell, wiping my eyes and shaking.

“Ah, sorry, Al,” he chuckles, “come on, let me help you up.”

I push his hand away and try to stop myself from crying. Three weeks have passed since the double attack on Hermione and the Ravenclaw girl and tensions are running high. I’ve barely slept in three weeks and my nerves are shot. It doesn’t take much to make me cry these days.

“Hey, I’m sorry,” George says, sitting down next to me and wrapping an arm around my shoulder. I lean into him, still shaking and crying.

“Mr Weasley! Miss Cohen!”

I look up at McGonagall. She’s looking surprised.

“What happened?” she asks, hurrying over, “are you alright?”

I nod, wiping my eyes.

“She just had a bit of a scare,” George says, “Peeves, you know. He’s been picking on her because she’s a muggle-born.”

McGonagall frowns and shakes her head.

“I don’t know what we’ll do with him,” she tuts, “well, come on, you shouldn’t be in the hallways alone. What class do you have now?”

“Care of Magical Creatures,” I sniff. George hands me his handkerchief.

“Come on then,” she says, setting off. We scramble to our feet and hurry after her. We step out into the warm grounds and I somehow feel safer out here than in the castle.

“Gather ‘round!” Kettleburn calls, “come on, gather ‘round.”

“Are you okay?” Carma asks, touching my arm. I nod and duck my head.

“Today we’ll be looking at- Oh, Minerva!”

We all turn to see McGonagall hurrying towards us.

“Back to the common room!” she calls, “stick together! Hurry!”

“What’s happened?” Angelina asks. By the look on McGonagall’s face I can tell. Another attack.

“You two in the middle,” Adam says, shoving Jace and I together. We run up through the grounds in a tight group. When we reach the Entrance Hall we stumble into chaos. There are Ravenclaws trying to run up from Potions and Hufflepuffs trying to run down there. Henry grabs my arm and pulls me out of the way of a burly fifth year Slytherin.