Chapter 22

**Alex’s POV**

I’m sitting at the kitchen table doing some potions homework that I’ve put off for a month. Mum is on the phone in the lounge room.

Properties of moonstone… I should know this…

“Okay, alright, I’ll pick him up at five,” Mum says, wandering back into the kitchen. I look up in interest. My friends are supposed to be coming here in a couple of days, but it sounds like someone is coming early!

“Okay, alright, no, it’s okay, right, bye,” Mum hangs up the phone and sits down, “Noah is coming home. He’s having a bit of a rough time up there.”

“Why?” I ask, still vaguely wondering about moonstones.

“He doesn’t like the whole ‘being a man’ thing,” Mum sighs, “so I’m picking him up from King’s Cross at five.”

“So he’ll be here all holidays?” I ask, dismayed.

“Al, you know Noah,” Mum smiles, “he’ll keep out of the way.”

“Where will he sleep?”

“He can sleep in your room, you can sleep in his,” Mum says, “that way he’ll be out of your hair and you’ll be with your friends. Fair deal?”

“I guess so,” I mutter.

Mum doesn’t get home with Noah until about six. He’s got quite a lot of bruises and scrapes and despite the fact that he’s ruining my holidays, I’m quite glad to see him.

“Hey Allie,” he sighs, walking in and giving me a hug, “how’s school?”

“Good,” I reply, “not into camping, huh?”

He shakes his head.

“I guess we’re swapping rooms for a few weeks, huh?” he asks, “when’re your friends arriving?”

“Carma, Fred and George are arriving the day after tomorrow,” Mum says, “and everyone else the next day.”

“Tommy is coming tomorrow,” I remind Mum, helping her set the table for dinner. She got pizza on the way home.

I wake super early the next morning and have a quick breakfast before starting to clean the house. I strip all the beds and put the sheets in the washing machine. I stuff all the things my brothers have left on their floors into their cupboards. When the washing machine finishes I hang out the sheets and check to see if Mum and Noah are awake yet. They’re still sleeping, so I go around to all the rooms and open the curtains and windows to air them out. This done I wash the and dry the dishes from last night, straighten the cushions on the lounges, go out to the garden and pick a few bunches of flowers, go back inside and put them in vases and put one vase in each room. Then I check the clock. It’s seven-thirty.