18| Kiss me?

Damien's POV

"Hey, Cadell. Wake up." I softly called out to him, quietly opening the door to the cage room. I'm so glad my ankle is feeling better, if it were to be broken, you wouldn't see me walking down these stairs for a VERY long time. I wasn't going to push myself past my limit. I stopped suddenly, watching a hunched over man kneeling in front of Cadell's cage.

Looking inside, Cadell was nowhere to be found. "Hey, what are you doing?" I asked awkwardly to the man. Tools were surrounding him, stuff you'd probably either see in a toolbox or garage. I hadn't seen the man anywhere around here before, so I was curious to what he was doing here, especially down here in the cage room.

"Fixing up the cage bars, some of your people ended up seeing suspicious behaviour. I guess they saw the rat escape from here, so I'm making it so that he can't anymore, don't want to take a risk eh?" He chuckled, his back rising and falling as he tried to stop his chuckling. Dammit. They found him out... Where did they put him? And I HATE how everyone calls Cadell a 'rat,' seriously. Grow up and fucking call him what he actually is!

"Where's the rat now?" I asked though slightly clenched teeth, my eyes locked cold on the man's back as he continued working on the bars. I only said rat to play along, honestly though, it isn't that hard to fit in here. Lately it's just been feeling like everyone here is getting more rude and annoying. I haven't hung out with Rachel for a bit, usually we'd hang out much more than this. Probably every evening while we finished up the rest of our delivering duties.

Damn, I miss her smile. The man paused before responding to my question. Was he suspicious of me? "Ah yes, he's right over there." The man pointed from over his shoulder, not even turning to look at where he was pointing. I glanced at the very back of the room, where the lights were a bit more dim then the rest of the room. We still had yet to call an electrician. We didn't catch many vampires anyways, so it wasn't exactly a 'top priority.'

Cadell was standing at the very back wall, furthest away from everything. Over where he was, it was the darkest. The red collar lit up from his glowing red eyes, it seemed to illuminate his face just the slightest bit. He was looking down at the floor, eyes not moving an inch, he must be bored, he looks like it.

His collar had a small latch on it, where a leash was connected to it. The leash end was pinned into the wall, practically acting like a chain. Poor Cadell, he looked like a chained up dog left in the backyard for the night. Had he tried to hurt this man? I wasn't going to think that much of it, didn't really bother me at the moment. I finally asked. "Do you-"

"Do me a favour and take the thing outside for a bit, it needs some exercise along with- What I'm trying to say is, I think it has to piss. It's been jumping around all day and making noises and whines all morning." The man interrupted me. I inwardly growled, fuck this guy. I wasn't going to do someone else's job, but... Cadell looked like he really wanted to get some fresh air, I mean, his new home is literally a dark uncomfortable cage.

Plus, he liked spending time with me. It's the least I could do for him, as we were 'friends' if you wanted to call us that. I nodded and made my way over to the chained Cadell who was slumped against the wall, his back pressed against it. As I got closer, his eyes flickered to look into mine. I could see that he was lying about the whole 'I have to piss' thing.

But I'd still take him out just for his own sanity. I carefully unhooked his leash all while keeping my distance. If that man turned around and I was close to Cadell, he would probably scold me and then scream his lungs out. Ugh, some people. They really are stupid, aren't they?

I winked at Cadell at a sign of 'just play along' as I started to gently tug him out of the room. "I'll return him soon, don't worry." I called as the door shut behind us. Cadell remained silent but pressed gently into my side as I walked him up the stairs and down a few hallways, leading him outside from one of he side exits. He tilted his head up to the sky, closing his eyes lightly as he took in a deep breath of fresh air.

I was a little surprised, honestly. I've heard a lot of vampire campfire stories along with reading books and from what I've heard, vampires burn in the sunlight. But surprisingly, he didn't look like he was burning. He seemed to actually enjoy the sunlight, I'd AT LEAST expect him to hiss or something at the light. I mean, he was in the dark inside his cage for a long time, right?

Cadell never seems to disappoint me, in fact, all he seems to do is surprise and amaze me. "Ah~ I missed the sun~ Glorious sunlight, lovely warmth~" he smiled softly as he tilted his head up more, being slightly restricted from his collar, but he didn't seem to care.

Not a moment later, I felt the leash slip from my grip as Cadell laid on the ground on his back, resting his arms behind his head to avoid being tickled senseless from the soft grass. I joined him, closing my eyes so the sun wouldn't bother me. I could sleep right here, it was so nice, so peaceful.

"Hey Damien? What do you think about love?" Cadell asked after a moment. I didn't understand the question. Why was he suddenly asking this to me?

"Well I mean, I have a girlfriend... Why? What about you?" I asked, still keeping my eyes closed.

Not a moment later, something soft yet cold pressed against my lips. And what happened next, completely shocked me.

What, the fuck. Cadell.