CHAPTER XXIV: THE FAULT IN OUR DEATH STARS

REY:

Finn and I jog through the woods when we see the base wall ahead, our feet tired of trudging on snow. But something tells me this night has just begun.

Finally we make it to—

"Hey it's about time you got here," a voice interrupts our steps. I look over to see Han standing there with Chewy like they'd been waiting for ages.

I make a confused frown and exchange that look with Finn.

"No—it can't be—," Finn says.

"How did you get here before us?" I ask.

He opens his mouth to speak but then frowns. "How did we, Chewy?"

The wookie shrugs and takes out his map. "You tell me. By all accounts it doesn't make sense..."

"Hm... Oh well. Back to business."

"Maybe that speeder by chance?" Luke says, walking up to us.

Chewy nods.

"Oh yeah," Han remembers. "Hey wait aren't you supposed to be creating a distraction?"

"I did. I left them all arguing over Real Housewives of Naboo."

I frown. Well that's one way to do it.

"Well we're gonna need a way into this place so Rey and Finn, this is your job."

"I'm on it," I nod and take Finn's hand to leave.

"I know how to walk without you holding my hand," he sasses with a smile.

"Har har," I reply and then playfully shove him before searching around for the control panel. It should be hidden here somewhere near the door... But I can find it. And I will.

.

POE:

"Will we run out of missiles before we can create any real damage?" Rex asks.

That makes me nervous. This thing can take more damage than I thought. And we're being rundown by—I dodge some laser shots barely that fire from turrets below. "Watch out for ground fire!" I warn them before pulling up, letting a fighter ahead taste my laser canon and turn into a ball of fire. I turn left to dodge the debris and spin quickly to avoid another ahead shooting towards me. I turn up and fire a couple lasers to destroy it. Then I pull up, still going fast as I head away from the base and then turn. Knocking out another ship firing at my comrade before I head back for the center. I speed up, taking out a turret before it directs its lasers at me, then send four missiles straight for where the damage is concentrated.

Quickly I pull up, just before I hit the roof of the base, and run just above it, firing at the turrets one after the other. I have to bank to miss a couple shots from one ahead, but I direct my target and take it out, letting it explode into flames like the others before I face upwards and head out.

I hear some shouting and then "Jak's got two on him!"

I look around and spot him. "Okay I'm headed your way just—"

"I'm hit!" he cries out before I see the devastating explosion of his fighter.

I grit my teeth and feel immediately grieved like I never felt before. I don't think I've ever seen anyone die before my eyes...