Chapter 36 (unedited)

"Good morning," I say cheerfully to Thaddeus as I enter the kitchen. He was sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee in his hand. He looks over at me and nods in greetings.

"How did you sleep?"

"Pretty good," I tell him as I sit across from him. "What about you?"

"I've been better." He slides a cup of steaming coffee to me along with a plate of scrambled eggs. Thanking him, I eat that in silence before drinking half of my coffee.

"Today I'm holding a meeting for the packs construction," he tells me. "I'll need your help with that."

I take another sip out of my drink and nod my head. "Do you want me to explain to them what you said with me?"

Nodding, Thaddeus spreads out the same papers from yesterday. "I need you to tell them everything I told you and then I'll take over and further explain about electricity, utilities, first picked homes, and such."

"Okay," I tell him reading over the papers once again. "When is the meeting?"

"Noon," he explains. "Remember Annabel, there are many people watching you while you're in front of them. Three hundred and thirty people."

I fight the opportunity to roll my eyes at his words. Gee, thanks. If he was trying to comfort me, it wasn't going the way he planned.

"All I'm trying to say is, they are family. Don't look at them or talk to them like strangers but as family."

I stare at Thaddeus in wonder. That was unexpected coming from Thaddeus. I was waiting for something else. "Thanks," I tell him. "I will."

We sit in silence. It isn't awkward at all or even tense. It was quite peaceful and serene. Moving out of my seat, I grab Thaddeus's now empty cup of coffee along with my used cup and dish, and place them in the sink.

"What are you doing right now?" I ask Thaddeus. I return to my seat across from him.

"I've finished everything that's needed to be done yesterday."

That meant we had until noon to do whatever we wanted. My perverted Wolf comes alive at the thought and immediately pushes me to instigate the first move. I find myself blushing and immediately block my Wolf's annoying thoughts.

"Do you have anything in mind?" Thaddeus shakes his head and taps the kitchen table. "How about you teach me how to fight?"

At my words, Thaddeus shakes his head sighing. "That's too soon."

I don't object to that. I still had some marks on me as a result of the brutal beating he inflicted. Thaddeus probably needed some time to fully register what he did to me. He was extremely cautious with putting his hands on me like that again.

"Do you want to go for a run then?" Thaddeus nods and we disappear from the kitchen. Heading out through the backdoor, I hide my body from Thaddeus something I normally don't do when we Shift. He Shifts outside, and I quickly remove my clothing first. I Shift when I'm beside the door and follow Thaddeus.

Truth be told, I didn't want to show my body in fear of what Thaddeus might think. He was already beating himself up over the fact that he put his hands on me violently. If he finds out that the evidence will forever be on me, it'll ruin him. The marks were on my stomach and chest. It's been weeks but they are still there, unhealed.

With a playful howl, I dash off into the direction of the lovely pond. Thaddeus's footsteps follow behind and I turn my head to glance back at him. He was taking his time to reach me. I howl at him before turning and running back to him.