Chapter 28 (unedited)

Beta Jay

"Are you ready?" I ask Natalia as the night sky falls and my morning shift arrives.

Natalia shakes her head no. "Liam is pretty smart. If I go out and tell him that I escaped from the ruthless Dark Moons pack, he'll wonder why I barely have a scratch on me."

"So then go get roughed up," I tell her shrugging my shoulders.

She rolls her eyes at me and out of nowhere she starts to tug at her clothing. The top half of her shirt rips easily along with the back. She rips the bottom of her pants and makes it too appear that she just got out of a scuffle. "Do you think this is better?"

I look her up and down. My eyes zero in on her shirt that now shows a strip of her light pink bra. My eyes stay locked there for a few moments until she hits me on the side. "My eyes are up here," she states. I shake my head out of it and bite down on my lip. I just want to-

I force the thoughts out of my head and focus on the real problem. "You look too clean," I tell her. "You don't look like you were scratched at all. You should roll in the dirt and just try to look the role."

She nods and we head to my back porch where she gets down on a heavily dirt filled spot. The entire area was full with grass except this one portion where my mother had wanted to add fake grass in. I'm so thankful she had better things to do than add grass to the ground. I watch as Natalia lays on her back and rolls in the dirt.

I bite down my laughter. I found it amusing that she was actually doing this. She looked like a- well a dog! When she finishes up rolling on her back, she comes back to me. "Ready?"

"Wait," I reach forward and run my fingers through her hair, messing it up. She steps back and slaps my hand away while I laugh. "You look much better."

"Thanks," she flatly says.

"Are you ready?"

Natalia nods and begins to walk just as we practiced. She was going to leave the pack territory and I was to follow behind her, but not too closely.
"No one goes in," I tell the three guards surrounding the house. The twins were the only ones that were inside at this time so I needed extra protection for them.

I turn and begin tailing my Mate.

Natalia

I ran as quickly as I could. After roughing myself up as much as I could, I rush through the space between the trees. The branches smack me across the face and arms, causing me to draw blood.

Jay had called off his patrol team so they could leave the area. I told him not to make it so obvious though so I was going to be chased halfway by his partner Joe. I didn't miss the way Jay had narrowed his eyes at Joe in warning when I suggested that he could try to rough me up on the way out of the pack.

When I pass a certain point, I hear the rustle of movement behind me and continue running. I pick up on Joe's scent and run even faster through the bushes.

"No!" I scream. I feel Joe's Wolf hit me on the back and I know immediately that he'll regret that when Jay evaluates me later. I Shift and sprint further away. I feel Joe right on my heels and when he swipes at my legs, I wince and turn around meeting him head on. I swipe at his side and he falls back giving me an opportunity to turn and run away.

I Shift back and scream out in fear trying to catch Liam's attention wherever he is. When I exit the pack territory, I continue running and stop a bit away to take a deep breath. Of course, I wasn't out of breath just yet. I was waiting.

I stand there for a few moments and wait for some sort of movement around me. When I don't, I feel my heart start to sink to the pit of my stomach. What if I mistook this entire plan? What if I don't know Liam the way I thought I did? When my doubts cloud my mind, I shake my head at them clearing my head up. He had to be here.