Chapter 4

Thank you to 50shadesofpotatoes for making such a wonderful cover!

It was dark. I had woken up some time ago but I feared of opening my eyes. I knew I was in the infirmary. That much was clear. Thaddeus was in the room, including the former Beta's Scott and Kelsey. Thaddeus was shouting at them and I feared for their safety as much as I did mine.

Are you okay? I asked my wolf. She didn't respond but I sensed her there, a whimpering mess.

When the tension in the room escalated, I could feel my heart rate rising. I tried to keep still but I could feel tremors making their way down my spine. I could smell Kelsey's distinctive scent draw near and a slight pressure placed over my hand.

"Let's take this outside Alpha," Scott suggested. It was quiet for a split second before Thaddeus stormed out of the room, followed by Scott.

I hesitated, wondering if I should keep my eyes shut or not. "I know you're awake."

I gingerly opened my eyes, not adjusting to the bright lights as fast as I thought I would. Kelsey stood on my bedside, hand clutching mine. She peered down at me, face masked with worry.

"Honey," she sighed out. I struggled to sit up on the bed. The door to the room swung opened and I flinched back on instinct. Richard, one of our pack doctors entered, face apologetic.

"I apologize Luna, I'm just here to check in." He stepped forward but I shook my head. Both Richard and Kelsey watched me closely.

"I just need a minute please," I rubbed my tender throat. Richard nodded and left the room. I bit my bottom lip until I tasted blood. Tears sprung up clouding my vision and I shakily exhaled, blinking them away.

"It's okay to let it out," Kelsey turned grabbing bundles of Kleenex. I took them gratefully but refused to let my tears fall. I knew this would happen. I just didn't think it would happen this soon.

"How long have I been out for?" I asked suddenly. Kelsey and Scott weren't even in the pack when I had made the call. In fact, I came to the sudden realization I never knew where they've been these past few weeks. I had asked Jay once but he told me they were on some trip.

"It's a little before dawn," she said, turning to the curtains near me. She removed the curtains unveiling light into the room. "Scott and I came as fast as we could."

She grabbed a chair and pulled it to my bedside, taking a seat. "By the time we arrived Richard and Ken were bringing both you and Jay here."

Thinking of Jay, I felt my heart drop to the pits of my stomach. At the look on my face, she forced a smile onto her face.

"He'll be fine," she exhaled. I could hear the agitation in her voice. She shook her head, sitting up straighter and leaned in, eyes peering deeply into my own. "What happened?"

I squeezed my eyes shut. The last thing I wanted to do was talk about it but if there was someone I could confide in, it would be Kelsey. She did have experience with this exact situation.

"I've been training behind his back with Jay," I began, picking at my fingers. "It was the wrong place wrong time I guess. I shouldn't have-"

Kelsey ferociously shook her head. "Don't say that. None of this is your fault."

"Yes it is!" I exclaimed. A wave of nausea washed over me and I gripped onto the bedside railing. Kelsey stood up and called out to Richard who rushed in. I gathered up enough strength to push him away. "I'm fine. Really."