Nine

I decided to go back home the next day. I had thought about it, and I realized that being so far away from Levi was even worse than being alone in the house. Even with the merpeople I was constantly reminded of him.

I explained it to my parents, and they told me it was alright. I also said bye to Armin and his soon-to-be husband, making them promise to invite me for the wedding, to which Armin responded that he wouldn't want to marry if I were not there.

Then I left. I swam back to the coast, and I emerged from the water in front of our house. I looked for the clothes had I had left on the beach the other day, but I couldn't find them. I wondered where they had gone, but I came to the conclusion that a wanderer had taken them. While I waited for my tail to dry up, I looked at the house. We had built it on the beach, partly because it would be easy to get to the sea, but also because it was far away from the humans. Nobody ever came to our house, only if they were horribly lost, which was a good thing. Without humans, we didn't have to worry about people finding out I was a mermaid, and we didn't have to hear their hateful remarks on our relationship.

Our house was exactly they way we wanted it. It wasn't big. I was white with a thatched roof. It looked very bright and yet cozy, which it was.

I was standing in our bedroom. I had quickly gotten upstairs out of fear that somebody might see me, even though there was nobody around. I quickly put on some clothes and went downstairs again. That was when I saw it. Lying on the kitchen table was a letter. It was placed against a glass to make it more noticeable. I grabbed the letter and opened it. I immediately recognized the handwriting, it was Levi.

Dear Eren,

I regretted leaving the minute I walked away, so I came back a few hours after that.You were gone, and I don't know whether you will come back. But if you don't, that's okay. I was the one who left, so I can't blame you for not wanting to stay. Eren, I don't regret meeting you and don't regret falling in love with you. What I do regret it throwing that all away.

I had everything I ever wanted with you. I had love. I had a wonderful husband who could love me forever, something many people want. I wanted it too, and I had it.

Something inside made me throw all of that away. I have lost everybody in my life, my family, my friends. You are the only one who is still around, and I am so scared to lose you. Even I don't understand why I was pushing you away, but I know that I regret it.

I will be waiting for you, as long as I can. I hope you will come back to me.

I love you, Eren.

Love, Levi

I burst into tears.

"Levi?" I yelled.

No reaction. He wasn't there, but he would come back, I knew that. I was right after all, Levi was going to come back.