Six

Mom told me go to my room. She told me to sleep, because I looked tired. But I couldn’t sleep. My eyes stayed wide open, and my brain kept thinking about Levi.

About four hours after my arrival, somebody outside my room asked for permission to come in.

“Armin!” I said as my blond friend sat down next to me and gave me a hug.

“Your mother told me about Levi. I’m sorry Eren, you don’t deserve this.”

“I’ll be alright,” I said, not wanting to worry him more.

Armin had a habit of taking things personal, and freaking out when those things went wrong.

“He promised to come back,” I said. “So he will.”

I didn’t know whether that was actually true, but I wanted to believe it.

“Then why are you sad?” Armin asked.

“Because he still left. But don’t worry about it,” I quickly changed the subject. “How are you? How’s Erwin?”

“We’re good. Getting married soon.”

“Really?” I said and I pulled him into another hug. “Why didn’t you tell me? I’m so happy for you!”

“We were going to tell you, but then you came here,” Armin said staring at his hands.

“Why do you look so sad? Aren’t you happy that you are getting married?”

“What if it happens to us, too?” Armin asked.

“What?”

“What happened to you and Levi. That one day we fall out of love, because we have been together for so long.”

I felt a horrible pain in my chest, like somebody had just stabbed me.

“Armin, Levi and I didn’t fall out of love. We still love each other, but we just need some time apart.”

I still loved Levi, but did he still love me?

“And what happens if we need that too, and then one of us realises that being apart is better than being together?”

What if that happened to me and Levi? Would Levi even come back then?

“Armin, Levi is still young. We have both lived for six centuries, Erwin eight. He is used to it, you both have had time to think about this. You both love each other, and after living so long, you won’t simply fall out of love.”

Armin looked at me with sad eyes.

“You will be fine, Armin.”

“Okay, maybe Erwin and I might end up fine-”

“You will.”

“But,” Armin continued his sentence. “I won’t be happy if you aren’t.”

“As I already said, I will be fine. And Levi will come back,” I said, not only trying to convince Armin, but also myself. “I will be fine.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

We hugged once again. I had missed my friend, we hadn’t seen each other in fifty years, and that might not seem long, but we were used to seeing each other each and every day.

“Why are you sitting in your room?” Armin asked.

I shrugged. “What else was I supposed to do?”

Armin lit up. “Party!”

“What? Party? Do I have something to celebrate?”

“No! But you need to forget Levi for a while.”

“I won’t forget him if you keep mentioning him,” I mumbled.

“Well, let’s make you forget you-know-who then! Let’s go party! The sirens are throwing a party right now, we should go.”

Armin showed me his puppy eyes, begging me to come with him.

“Please!”

I sighed. A party wouldn’t hurt. A little bit of red coral and I would certainly be having a lot of fun.

“Fine,” I said.

Armin threw his arms around me. “Yes! Thank you! Let’s go.”

He grabbed my hand and pulled me out of my room and out of the cave.

“Would you mind if-?” Armin silently asked.

“Erwin came too?”

I didn’t really care, I would probably not care about them anymore once I would get my hands on the coral.

“Of course not, go get you fiancé.”

Armin told me to wait and swam off to get Erwin. It didn’t take long before he came back with the muscled blond man.”

Erwin greeted me and told me that everything was going to be alright, and then we went on our way.

The sirens threw their party in a big open field. It was decorated with small balls of coral covered in bioluminescence (basically shit that makes some fish light up, it’s completely natural) which made the whole area a colorful field of light. Everywhere around me were merpeople and sirens. It was the same as it had always been, and I felt home. But not the right home.

I shook the thought out of my head. No, I was going to have fun.

And then somebody behind me yelled my name.

“Eren! Long time no see!”