Just Tryna Do What Right

Tamia

"Um ...Kevin..." I whispered looking down playing with my fingers. I take a quick look at him but quickly look away when he calls my name. "Tamia, did you say something?" Taking his eyes off the road for a second to look at me I shake my head nervously and softy said "No..."

Silence...

"So..." Clearing my throat, I try again hoping I won't sound so wimpish.

Is that even a word? .....

"So where are you taking me again?"

"My house... We're like ten minu..."

"You don't have to do that I'll be fine at a shelter." Not daring to make eye contact I looked out the window, suddenly the car comes to a stop. I turn to see him looking at me as if I was growing two heads...

"Are you crazy?".....

I guess that answers that thought.

"Do you honestly think I'ma leave you in a ratty ass shelter when you could be staying with me? You must be loco, so let me make this clear for you. We going to my house where you'll have a warm bed a hot shower or bath whatever you prefer and most of all you be safe, cause I refuse to let anything happen to you." He said all this while looking into my eyes and holding my hand. I honestly didn't know how to respond to that, I felt tears building up so I just held his hand and smiled.

A minute later he started up the car and resumed driving, never letting my hand go he asked me, "You hungry? I could stop off somewhere and get you something if you like?" Shaking my head I said "No thank you, I'm not hungry." Looking at me suspiciously he asked, "When was the last time you ate?" Not wanting to answer I kept my glaze out the window. "Tamia, I know you heard me, baby answer me." I think my heart skipped a beat when he said baby.

"Yesterday..." I whispered

"What?" Jumping a little at how harsh he sounded, I repeated my answer a little clearer to him "Yesterday." Sneaking a peek at his face I saw how angry he looked, jaw twitching and all. I guess he saw how scared his reaction had me that he tried calming down a little bit before asked, "Why haven't you eaten all day?" "Because....Johanna wouldn't let me, it was part of my punishment for...."

"Punishment! What the fuck for?"

"Um... I-I ...."

He sigh "I didn't mean to yell. Can you please tell me why you were on punishment?" he said, so harshly I couldn't help but look at him.

"I was on punishment for making her stay home to look after me."

"That bitch is unfucking believable. I swear to god if I...."

"Please don't." Stopping the car again he turns to me and says "Are you hungry Tamia? Forget your sister I'm not gonna stop you from eating so ...are you?"

"Yeah, a little but..." "Good so what you in the mood for Jamaican, Chinese, Indian...Hmm" "Anything's fine... really." "Ok Chinese it is then, and with that we went off to his favorite Chinese place even though he said it's the only one nearby. All the while I was thinking what have I gotten myself into? ....