Photos From The Past

"Does it seem smaller in here?" Lauren asked weakly as they walked through the front doors of the restaurant. "I think the walls are closing in, Camz I can't - breathe," Lauren was nearly hyperventilating and Camila stepped in front of her and put her hands on either side of Lauren's face.

"Babe, take a deep breath you can do this, I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere," Camila whispered, her head tilted down as she looked up at Lauren through thick lashes, sincerity laced through every fleck in brown eyes.

"Girls, can I get you- Oh, weren't you two just here?" A woman asked them and Camila realized it was the hostess that had seated them.

Lauren opened her mouth the speak, but no sound came out as she reached out for Camila's hand. "We were looking for one of your waitresses, her name is Clara, is she here?"

"Oh you mean the owner?" The woman smiled and Camila just nodded her head, hoping there was only one Clara and that if there was two they were referencing the same one. "Clara actually left already, about five minutes ago."

"We missed her?" Lauren mumbled, her voice almost whining.

The woman nodded, smiling sadly at Lauren, "I'm very sorry Lauren, but she will be back on Monday first thing in the morning and-"

"You know my name? I didn't-"

"Everyone knows who you are, if not because you look like a perfect combination of your parents, but because most of us here have known Clara for years," the woman spoke with honesty as she looked Lauren up and down. "Plus she told me she met you."

"She did?"

"She's waited years, thought about you for years and when she met you, she couldn't hold it in," the nameless woman laughed and placed a hand on Lauren's shoulder. "She will be back Monday, if you would like I can tell her that you were looking for her and-"

"Please don't," Lauren said quickly. "It's probably better she isn't here, I'm not really sure what I was going to say to her anyways, please don't tell her."

There was a conflicted look in the woman's eyes, caught between her obvious friendship with Clara and the pleading in Lauren's voice, but she nodded and removed her hand from Lauren's shoulder before turning to walk away and Lauren let out a ragged breath.

"Are you o-"

"Let's go to the mall," Lauren said turning and pushing hard on the front door of the restaurant, while Camila stood frozen in place, scrambling to catch up with the older girl once it clicked in her mind that Lauren was leaving.

"Lo, wait up," Camila called out, running up behind Lauren and grabbing her by the wrist to turn her around. "Talk to me, okay? Please?"

"She's not there, she went home," Lauren said with a shrug. "There's nothing to talk about, it's not like I had any idea what I was gonna say or do when I saw her anyways."

"Are you okay though?"

"I'm fine," Lauren mumbled and Camila let out a sigh and nodded, not wanting to press the issue.

Camila thought for a moment and spoke with a low voice as they reached the bus stop, "Did you wanna go to her h-"

"I want to go to the mall."

"Okay, I will text the girls and let them know we're on our way," Camila said with a nod and Lauren mumbled something Camila didn't quite hear as she pulled the smaller brunette into a hug.

"I love you Camz, I'm sorry I'm such a mess," Lauren whispered into Camila's ear and Camila's body involuntarily shuddered when she felt Lauren's hot breath against her skin.