What Did I Do?

Normani POV

I walked into the ballet studio located in the basement and when I looked around I saw most of my class had already arrived, minus the person I really wanted to see. Dinah. I made my way into the change room and quickly changed into my tights and leotard and slipped my ballet shoes on to my feet. 

I watched my dance teacher make her way the middle of the floor and clap her hands three times before beginning our warm up. I took my place at the ballet bar and followed my teacher's lead. 

Tendu front, tendu side, tendu back, degage front, degage side, degage back, grave battement front, grande battement side.. 

I went through the motions, my mind elsewhere. 

"I'm so sorry I'm late Madame Estelle, I swear it will never happen again."

I shot my head up in time to see Dinah bound through the door, already dressed in her dance wear. She dropped her bag to the side and proceeded to put on her dance shoes. Our teacher watching her and when she moved towards the ballet barres Madame Estelle cleared her throat and in a french thick accent she addressed Dinah. "Hair is to be up before you step onto the floor Miss. Hansen."

I watched Dinah retreat, she looked like she hadn't slept. Her hair was a mess and her face was free of make-up. She looked like she had just finished crying, but I couldn't be sure, I continued with the warm up, refusing to look away. 

"Please look at me," I whispered so low that no one heard me. 

Hair pulled into a fresh bun Dinah moved back towards the barres and I moved down slightly, so there was room for her, but for the first time she chose a barre across the room, the one furthest away from me. 

"Partner up," Madame Estelle announced and I glanced over to Dinah who had always been my partner, my face falling as I saw her walk over to one of the other students and ask if they needed a partner. I watched as the girl looked over at me and then back to Dinah, nodding her head, clearly as confused as I was by the situation, but I wasn't just dumbfounded, I was hurt. 

"Madame Estelle?" I said raising my hand. "I don't feel well, may I go see a nurse?" 

------------------------------

Dinah POV

Shit, shit, shit. I was late, I tripped over my feet and with no grace I entered the ballet studio, a few students looking up at me as I stumbled my way through an apology, my dance teacher shaking her head in disapproval. 

I could feel Normani's eyes on me, but refused to look up as I made my way to the ballet barre furthest away from her and I glanced up as she looked down and I wondered what she was thinking, my whole body freezing when Madame Estelle announced that we would be needing partners today, I had only ever partnered with my roommate, but I couldn't do that right now, I wasn't ready. I had no words and I knew if I went over to her she would want an explanation from me that I did not have. 

I looked over at a girl who's name, I'm pretty sure was either Emma or Emily or maybe it was Jessica. I didn't really talk to anyone other than Normani and I quickly realized that not talking to her was going to have consequences. 

"Hi, look I know you don't usually partner with me, but do you think you would mind? I see your usual partner isn't here," I said looking around for the tall, lanky red head the girl was usually preoccupied with. 

"Uh, yeah, he hurt his ankle," she said to me her head turning to look over at Normani and then back to me before nodding her head. "What about her?"

"Great, thanks, sorry about your friend," I said ignoring her question. 

  "Madame Estelle? I don't feel well, may I go see a nurse?"