justin

I woke up the next morning around 6 am., exhausted from the night before. I wanted to forget everything that happened but knew I couldn't. I had a class at 7:30 and was less than excited about the fact that I had to get out of bed.

I checked my phone and saw a text from DJ, letting me know he had got home ok.

iMessage

6:11 am

Emma: thank you for letting me know you got home ok. sorry for freaking out last night, just a lot on my mind, you know?

DJ: for sure. i shouldn't have done that anyways, don't worry about it

Emma: why're you up so early?

DJ: game day against the spurs. i'm always up early on game days idk why

Emma: oh.. well good luck.

DJ: will you be there?

Emma: idk, i don't think i should go. depends on how my day goes i guess. i don't know if i'm ready to see blake yet.

DJ: for sure. lemme know if you go

Going to anymore of the games really wasn't the first thing on my mind, at all. Right now I didn't want to see Blake. Which sucked. Clippers games were supposed to be my escape when I felt like this, I always went to forget about my life for a little bit and I couldn't even do that anymore.

....

After eventually dragging myself out of bed, I made it to campus and was walking into class when Shelby ran up next to me.

"What's new? I feel like we never talk anymore."

"Oh. You know, just the usual." I said and she could tell something was off. I hadn't told her anything that happened last night, I didn't want to talk to anybody about it, but I knew as soon as we sat down she was going to start asking questions.

"Yeah, sure. What's going on?"

"Shelby, I really just don't want to talk about it right now. I'm sorry."

"What happened." She wouldn't stop asking.

"Shelby. Stop."

"Emma. No. We have 10 minutes until this class starts. Spill, now."

"Fine." I sighed, "I broke up with Blake. Last night I surprised him and went over to his house, because he texted me saying he wanted me to, only to find out he sent the same text to a girl named Jessica who showed up too. And then, get this. DJ came over to drive her home because she was drunk. He came back to drive me home, just to be nice, and ended up kissing me goodnight."

She just looked at me, her eyes big and mouth partially open.

"What. The. Fuck. What did you get yourself into."

"I miss him though, Shelby. That's what sucks. He keeps hurting me with other girls and I still miss him. I don't know what's going on with DJ. I think it was just a heat of the moment type of thing. He wants me to come to the game tonight but I don't think I can."

"I'll go with you, if you want. We hardly ever hang out anymore and maybe me being there will help."

"Yeah, I guess. We can go."

I wasn't too excited, but she was right, I had been neglecting her and our friendship while me and Blake were dating, and her going with me tonight would make it easier.

...

I turned my phone off during class, it helped me concentrate better. While walking out of the room 2 hours later, turning my phone on, I noticed I had a few messages.