kiss cam

Wednesday afternoon's I have my psychology 101 class at UCLA. I'm majoring in psychology because I'm really undecided on what exactly I want to do with my life. If it was up to me I wouldn't even be in college but I didn't want to disappoint my parents. I didn't mind going to class today because I knew that once the class is over I could get in my car and drive to the Staples Center. Today the Clippers are playing the OKC Thunder and while I was excited to go to a game, I was more excited to see Blake Griffin today than I usually was.

...

The 3rd quarter just got over and the Clippers are down by 7, (84-91), the starters were on the bench and it looked like Blake and DJ were in their own world, they weren't paying attention to what Doc was saying but instead I saw them looking up at the big screens, I glanced up and it was the kiss cam. Blake and DJ seemed entertained and when I looked back up at the cam I saw my face and the random guy sitting next to me, I don't know how long I had been up there but I knew people around me saw me staring intently at the bench where Blake was sitting. I started laughing and the man next to me gave me a peck on the cheek and they moved on to the next "couple."

The Clippers ended up winning 117-110. The game was over and the confetti was still falling and I could still hear the mumbles of conversations next to me as people walked up the stairs to leave.

"Hey, Emma."

"Oh, hey John! I didn't see you there."

John was the usher that watched over the people in my section at almost every game. He's a dad, has 2 kids but raises them by himself. It's weird that I know that right? I guess that's what happens when you stick around almost an hour after the games are over.

"It was a good game tonight wasn't it?" he asked me.

"Yeah it was super close towards the end!"

"I saw you zone off looking at Blake on the big screen too. People got a good laugh out of that and if I'm not mistaken, he saw it too."

I had a feeling he'd bring this up and not gonna lie I was embarrassed when he did.

"Oh yeah, well you know, what girl wouldn't stare at him?" I tried to laugh it off.

John was one of the nice ushers that didn't ask me to leave, he let me sit around as long as I wanted. I loved how the arena got so quiet and peaceful. A security guard was doing his final sweep and thankfully it was one who recognized me and let me stay. It depended on the night, but sometimes I would sit there and read a book, or write, sometimes I would just think.

About 10 minutes after the security guard had left I was about to leave when I heard someone walking out onto the court. The lights had been dimmed and some shut off so I wasn't sure who it was, but I quietly sat back down and watched. My family's season tickets are across from the bench so I could pretty much see everything going on on the court and on the bench. I don't think whoever it was saw me so I pulled out my phone to try and sneak a video.

"My friends won't believe this," I thought to myself.

Suddenly my phone started ringing, my mom was calling. The ringtone went off and scared me so I dropped my phone and the noise it made was louder than I expected. I ducked down, hoping that whoever was shooting around wouldn't see me but I knew I wasn't hidden very well.

"Hello?" I heard him say in a deep, but familiar voice.

I slowly leaned up, I could feel how red my face was. I was so embarrassed I couldn't even talk, so I just awkwardly waved.

He started walking towards me and as he got closer to me I recognized his face and dropped my phone again, still speechless.

"What are you doing here? Fans were supposed to leave almost an hour ago. How are you still here? What's going on?"