ford

I was laying next to Blake under the sheets in my bed, we were quiet, but I could still hear Blake's heavy breathing.

"You were right, Blake, that did help."

I rolled over and put my head on his chest.

"That's Dr. Blake to you." He kissed my forehead and we both laughed.

"What do you want to do the rest of the night?" I asked.

"Uhm, I'm not sure." He replied, while checking his phone. "Hey, hold on a second, beautiful. I have a voicemail from Brynn."

I knew who Brynn was, everyone knew who she was. It was weird though, being in a relationship with someone who had a kid and a baby mama. I wasn't used to my boyfriend having an other girl to tend to all the time, and take care of in addition to me.

"Well, I know what we can do the rest of the night."
"What happened?"
"Brynn has a last minute date and didn't want to find a babysitter for Ford, she wants me to watch him."
"Oh. Blake, you can just go be with him, we haven't been together that long, I don't know if it's a good idea for me to meet him yet."
"Baby, I want you to meet him. I think he'll love you. We can go to a movie, or go chill at my house or something."
"If you're absolutely sure."

He rolled over on his side, looking me in the eyes, "Yes baby, I'm sure."

We got up and put our clothes back on, I ran downstairs and put the pizza in the fridge, shut off Netflix and met Blake by the front door. I had thrown a few things in my purse in case I ended up spending the night with Blake.

He smiled at me, "let's take my car."

On the way to wherever we were picking up Ford, I started asking Blake questions about him.

"How does Ford usually act when you introduce him to new people?"
"Pretty good. Brynn introduces him to a lot of men, so I think he's used to it. I try to not introduce people to him unless I know they're going to be in my life for a while."

He glanced over at me and put his hand in mine.

...

We picked up Ford from a restaurant, I'm assuming this is where Brynn was meeting her date. She paid no attention to me and really didn't seem bothered by the fact that I was there. She seemed rushed. I was intently watching her and Blake talk, it was weird seeing them together. Blake picked up Ford and started walking towards the car, I quickly looked down at my phone and pretended I hadn't been paying attention.

"Ford, this is my friend Emma. She's going to be hanging out with us tonight."

Ford looked at me and smiled, he said "hi" and waved his hand towards me.

Blake put him in the back of the car and we were on the road again.

"What do you want to do tonight, buddy?"
"Home!" Ford said excitedly.

Blake looked over at me and talked quietly, "he's probably getting tired, we'll just go to my place and watch some movies until he falls asleep and then we can hang out, okay babe?"

To be honest, I was getting tired too, even though it was barely nine.

"Sounds good."

...

When we got back to Blake's house he carried Ford into his living room and set him down on the couch, turned on the tv and put on a movie to keep his attention.

He pulled me into the kitchen.

"Can you watch him for me? I want to go take a shower real quick, he's probably already asleep."
"Of course. I just want him to like me." I laughed a little and Blake could tell that I was nervous.