Prologue

Cold.

It's so cold.

Every drop of rain seems to go straight to my bones.

The clothes I wear bring no warmth to my small, slim form.

I hate the rain. I hate the wetness of it. I hate water and all of it's many forms.

But I love snow. Snow is solid and not wet. Snow is beautiful. And it's fun to try and catch snow flakes on my tongue.

The wind blows in my face and makes me shiver violently.

I hate the rain.

Feeling light headed, I lean against a fairly small building. I felt very weak. I knew what was to happen next. I needed to get where I wouldn't be seen. I followed the building to a dark alleyway.

Perfect.

I stumbled inside and braced myself against the wall, but my body crumbled to the floor as I transformed.

This always happens when I'm weak. And always right before I get sick.

I curled up into a ball, my tail giving me shelter from the rain.

I could feel the fever coming on now. I welcomed this new warmth. But soon I shall be cursing it. No matter how sick or healthy I am, my fevers will always be those of the dying.

I could feel unconsciousness coming on. My eyes drifted open and closed for quite some time. Like something was keeping me awake.

Then I heard footsteps at the entrance of the alleyway.

Please, oh please don't let it be them. Please don't let it be that they found me. Not in this weak state. I can't fight them like this.

The approaching person stopped just a few feet in front of me. I curiously peaked under my tail at the person. And I couldn't help think: You idiot! Curiosity killed the cat, remember?

Yes. But satisfaction brought it back. I reminded myself.

All I could see was a dark shadow looming over me. But in the light of the building behind me I could see the faint glow of yellow green eyes. They were like cats eyes. So deep and mesmerizing and full of so much intelligence.

Then the shadow shifted and its eyes were obstructed from my view.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here? Hehehe." The shadow spoke. It was a strange, goofy kind of voice. His laugh was just the same. "Poor little kitty lost its way and is all soaked to the bone. This won't do. It won't do at all."

The man bent down towards me and picked me up into his arms. His arms were so warm. And he held me with such gentleness you'd think I was made of glass.

"I'm going to take you to my shop. We'll get you nice and warm and dry. I might also have some milk waiting for you too. Do you like milk?" The man spoke to me as he walked.

My ears stood straight up at the mention of milk. I may be 18 years old, but milk is a cats best friend. It doesn't matter how old you are. If someone offers you milk, you take it. Simple as that.

The man laughed. "I'll take that as a yes."

The smooth rocking of his movements and the warmth of his arms gently lulled me to sleep. I knew I was in safe hands. Call it feline instincts.

I curled up more into his arms and let consciousness leave me.