《 18 》

The following chapter is a flashback.

Jungkook's pov

Ki Man playfully punched me while San Noh giggled.

"You're telling her today, right? I mean come on, it's the last day you'll be at school until who knows when?" Ki Man nudged me. I felt my cheeks turning red. I tried to bite the inside of my cheeks to prevent it, but I was pretty sure it wasn't working.

"Dude, seriously, you HAVE to. Plus if things don't work out you're leaving anyway," San Noh switched to his serious face for once. Geez, I'm going to miss these guys.

"I know... it's just I don't know if I CAN," I chewed at my lip.

"JUNGKOOK!!" the three of us turned around to find Hye Soo, standing at the doorway of the classroom. She blew steam up across her face, causing her bangs to fly up. Her glare stared me down.

Shoot... what did I do this time? Did I do something bad? Did I forget something? Wait how's my hair... I realized that I had no time to worry about my hair, since she had already stomped her way to me.

She stared at me angrily, and I stared back confused. My friends were both excited and scared for me; I could tell. I gulped and waited for Hye Soo to speak, but nothing.

"I-" I tried to speak, but Hye Soo cut me off that very second.

"How could you not tell me that today's your last day?!"

"What??"

"You have ears."

"Well, because today's not my last day?"

"Ok, 'practically' your last day. I supported you and your dream but you didn't even tell me that your training starts tomorrow!" she pouted and crossed her arms, her eyebrows knitted with anger.

"Uhhh..."

"Boyyyy, you messed up," Ki Man said sassily and shook his head. San Noh nodded in agreement.

"I, uh, well... forgot to?"

"Forgot to my butt! Were you going to leave and live as if I never existed? Then go ahead! Fine! Who's stopping you anyways?!" Hye Soo turned, but my hand grabbed onto her hair.

"Ok, NOW you're just overreacting. Why would your favorite cannibal leave like that?"

"OwowowOW... and because. Well. Because. You CAN? Plus you were never my favorite anythinf."

"Um, can I really? I mean you'd probably spam new every second you can and hunt me down so..."

"True, but STILL! Why didn't you tell me? I totally would've forced you to buy me meat or something if I knew."

"Maybe that's why I didn't tell you," I glanced at the clock. "We can talk more later. You'll be late for class again if you stay any longer."

Hye Soo raised her wrist to look at her watch. Her eyes grew wide as she dashed out screaming "Excuse me!!" down the hallway. Without me realizing, a smile grew on my face, and San Noh to smack the back of my head.

~~~~~

"I just don't get it. How could you leave fabulous people like us.. ok a fabulous person like ME for a chance to become famous?" San Noh wriggled his body up and down like a diva, his hands tracing the shape of his body.

"Uh, how can I not?" I replied, receiving playful punches and pushes. "I'll really miss you guys though."

"You better," Ki Man raised his arm in a threatening manner, as if he was going to punch me, then receded and nudged me with a smile. "Don't go forgetting who taught you how to do math all of high school."

"Hey, I was perfectly capable of doing math alone." San Noh and Ki Man looked at each other, then at me, and simultaneously shook their heads. We laughed for we all knew I was the worst at math.

"You BETTER dedicate a song to us, okay?" San Noh said.

"Yeah, yeah," I replied. By a lucky chance, I saw who I was waiting to see the entire day further up ahead. "Ah, er, guys I gotta go." I rushed away, but I could hear their reactions.

"Wait wha- oh I seeeee."

"WOO go get em TIGER! Or should I say..."

(Both) "CANNIBALLLL~"

I squeezed my way past the traffic jammed hallway until I was right behind her. Now came the choice... to scare her by slamming my hands onto her shoulders or wrap my arms around her neck.

"Oh! Jungkook!" too late now... Hye Soo turned around and waved sweetly.

Well I should do what I came for before it's too late to again, huh? I grabbed Hye Soo's wrist. "Come with me," I said and led her through the hallway.

"Wait wh- you know what I'm not even going to question this."

~~~~~

I took her to a park... the place where we first bumped into each other outside of school. She saw me eating a cookie and called me a cannibal... again. Although, I secretly liked that nickname.

"Well this looks familiar. What's your plan, Mr. Smooth? Take me to the first place we become friends and end our-- WAIT JUNGKOOK?!!" Hye Soo eyed me and put on a face that read "don't you dare".

"Stop jumping to conclusions, that's like the opposite of what I was going to do."

"Better be, I'll never let you get famous without remembering MOI." She cupped her face and scrunched her nose cutely. "Geez, it was the perfect weather the first time we were here. Now winter is killing the mood."

"Really? I mean yeah the trees look dead but I think winter is pretty awesome in its own ways."

"Like how?"

"Um, SNOW!! Also, hot chocolate and Christmas and the cozy feeling of wearing many layers and blankets. Not to mention it's pretty much the best weather for couples."

I stopped in my tracks at that word ー "couple". "Speaking of couples..." Hye Soo skipped back to me after walking too far ahead. I looked at her with beaming eyes. She was happy. I could tell. And that made me happy.

"Speaking of couples...?"

"I'm not saying we should be one but..." I gulped, wiping my sweaty palms on my pants. "I, I'm going to miss you a lot." I could hear all the spirits sigh around me.

"Of course silly, why wouldn't you miss someone like me?" She winked and smiled. Then, she turned around and started walking again.

"...I like you, Hye Soo, a lot."

The words made her stop in her tracks. No turning back now...

"What?"

"I like you, Hye Soo."

"Jungkook... remember Changmin? My brother's friend? I think I like him."

"Hy-"

"And I think he likes me too. We've been talking a lot alone lately, and I-"

"Hye Soo, are you trying to mock me?"

"Huh?"

My breaths became more shaky. I couldn't find a way to control my emotions, causing my hands to curl up into fists. "Changmin... he's all you care about right? Because you like him? I get it, you don't feel the same way but aren't I still your friend? Don't you care?"

"Jun-"

"No, stop. You were always like this... which is why you never realized how I felt, even though I was always by your side. It started to hurt when people said we'd look good together, you know? No, you didn't know, because you only ever freaking cared about Changmin." I started to walk away from Hye Soo, but I stopped shortly after. "Do I know Changmin? Of course I do, because of you. So tell him I'd like to meet him." And I left before she could come after me... If she even tried to come after me.

That was my last day at that school. I spent the rest of it crying in pain. Even then, I couldn't forget her... I couldn't hate her either.