《 3 》

My mother and father ran to greet Ho Seok, hugging him and kissing him on the cheek. Ho Seok continued to smile, glancing at me every once in a while.

After that was over, and bowed towards him. "Good afternoon... oppa," I greeted.

"How many times must I tell you, it's 'Jung Ho Seok-sshi', not oppa! You're not worthy of calling him that! Can't you do anything right?!" my father screamed, shaking the house and making me shiver. The maids froze for a moment and stared at me pitifully before having to go back to working again. Even after so long, they weren't used to it.

I bowed constantly for forgiveness. "I'm sorry, father, mother, Jung Ho Seok-sshi. It won't happen again."

"Won't happen again? It's already happened way too many times! You've disgraced him and our family! I'm so DONE with how you've done NOTHING to help this family, unlike your respected BROTHER who you don't even respect!"

"Ehh, dad. Stop it, already. She's getting scared," Ho Seok said. Although he gave me a evil smile after saying so. Or was it just my mind playing with me...

"She should be! GET OUT OF THIS HOUSE NOW BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING STUPID AGAIN!"

I bowed once more "I'm sorry," I apologized, choking on my tears that didn't dare to fall out yet. "I'll leave now." I ran to the door, while the three moved away from me. I didn't want to spend so much time putting on my sneakers, so I just picked them up and ran out the door.

"PUT ON YOUR SNEAKERS PROPERLY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!" I heard before the door slam again. Although the door now set a barrier between me and the rest of my family, I could hear them talking.

"I'm sorry that you had to see that happen, Ho Seok-ah. I apologize for her ruthless behavior," my father's muffled voice spoke.

"It's fine," Ho Seok replied. "She's just a stupid kid anyways." Stupid kid, huh? Whatever happened to "the smartest kid in the world?" The thought brought back memories, good ones...

"Wah, Hye Soo-ah, you learn so fast! You're the smartest kid I know," Ho Seok smiled. It was a genuine smile, and it stretched from ear to ear. His dimples appeared beside the corners of his mouth.

"Really, oppa?" I asked innocently. My finger reached out to poke the dimples I loved so much.

"Mhm. In fact, you're probably the smartest kid in the world!"

"Hye Soo-ah, want to take a walk?" mom asked. She had a smile as big and bright as Ho Seok's. I miss that smile.

"With mommy and daddy?"

"Of course, if that's what you want. Do you want to call daddy for me?"

"Yes!" I zipped past the living room and into dad's office. "Dad, dad!"

"Oh, Hye Soo-ah, my love." He wearily took off his glasses and flashed a smile real quick. A pair of strong hands were at my sides and lifted me up to his lap with a grunt. "Aigoo, you're getting heavier."

I booped his nose. "Of course! I need to grow to become as strong as you!" He giggled and carried me out of the room. I turned and saw the pile of messy papers on his desk and frowned.

"Let's go!" my mom shouted and we all gathered by the door to put on our shoes.

Our house back then was only slightly better than my apartment. At least it was colorful. It was small and old, but at least it felt big and bright with happiness.

Where did it all go wrong? Something wet traced my cheek as I listened to the sound of laughter coming from inside the house. I slowly started to put on my shoes, then bid farewell to the lady working in the yard and left. I decided to walk around a bit, then ride the bus home instead to save money, the money that I couldn't provide for my family.