Chapter 17: Unexpected

With the end of shooting of NCT Life's second and third episodes, everyone had to return back to SM building. From there, everyone could split and do what they had to do, whether it's for more work, practice, or merely free time. And in Jiwoo's case, this was her golden opportunity to confess her feelings to Jung Jaehyun.

After asking him to go to the supposedly good cafe with her through text was enough to get her extremely nervous. So nervous that she was visibly shaking whenever she stood still back on set. She just wanted everything to go well, and surely she could trust her best friend's words.

Jaehyun likes her.

The boy she likes, likes her.

There were enough clues to support this, wasn't there? She felt something, that itself should be enough for her to go with it. Besides, it's about time she dealt with these crazy feelings. Go all in or nothing. She doesn't want to make any more regretful decisions in her life.

"So, what are you going to do now that we finished today?" Seokju asked her when they had arrived back to headquarters.

The question caught her by surprise. "Oh, I think I was planning on stopping by this one cafe Minah-unnie suggested," Jiwoo answered, scrounging up as much courage to admit. Her voice slightly wavered, but it wasn't like she was lying about it. Just...that's not all of it. "It sounds really nice, and apparently a lot of our people go there."

"Ah, yes, I've never tried but I did hear they have a good reputation. I heard they recently changed ownership..." Seokju gave a grin over at his baby cousin, an arm resting around her petite shoulders. "Shall we try the cafe together? I don't think we've been able to hang out recently due to our busy schedules."

The young brunette's brown eyes widened at the suggestion. She whipped towards the man, waving her hand dismissively at him. No way in hell was he going to ruin her perfect chance today! "Ah, oppa, it's okay! I know how tight on time you usually are."

She got to add something to save her from this. "I'm sure you have paperwork you have to get to, so maybe I can pick up something for you instead." Her smile was forced, she's trying hard not to come off as suspicious. But for the love of god, she needs her cousin to not tag along with her. She needs her time to chat with the particular NCT vocal in private.

"I'm kind of hurt," Seokju frowned, his arm retracting from her shoulders. The tall producer clicked his tongue as he stared down his significantly smaller cousin. "You don't want to hang out with someone of your own blood?" Jiwoo could only grimace at his reply, nose scrunched at how whiny he just now sounded. "But fine, you're right. I should do some of that paperwork, I wouldn't want to stay here too late anyway."

"See, I told you," she chimed, inwardly sighing in relief.

"I'll check it next time then with Boram, you don't have to get me anything." He ruffled the girl's hair. "I'll go ahead up then. Don't stay there for too long."

"I won't."

Finally to her delight, Jiwoo watched as Seokju rushed off towards the elevators. With a huff, she turned and left the building to hail a cab. Her and Jaehyun decided through messages it would be less conspicuous if they had gotten separate rides to the cafe.

Least likely to be noticed by the staff and possible lurking fans. She doesn't want to imagine an article coming out within hours of: NCT's Jaehyun Enters Car with Mystery Girl?

Let's not risk that.

The ride to Queen Kona's had been relatively quiet, the only sound heard was the passing cars outside and the soft hums from the radio. She sang quietly along to some of the recent hits that played, she tried not to jam to hard when Russian Roulette began blasting through the old car's speakers. (She couldn't help but do a few of its key dance moves, though.)