Chapter 9: A Good Distraction

Everything seemed like a daze after Jiwoo's lunch date with Boram. The young composer arrived to the studio where NCT 127's music video will be filmed at right on time, but her movements were sluggish. She may have helped with preparations just fine, but she was clearly not in her right mind.

Whenever she wasn't needed, she would stay at the side, her thumb running over the small bunny keychain she kept hanging on her bag. She always did so whenever she felt anxious. Another thing she would usually do was close herself up in her studio and delve into composing songs, upbeat songs to shake the discomfort in her gut. However, she was too far from her good luck induced studio at SM.

Her cousin wasn't here either. Seokju had to move his responsibilities to EXO, who had made their comeback not too long ago. Jiwoo understood that, EXO had a lot on their plate and having Seokju would be beneficial for them. The NCT crew were reliable on their own.

He was one person she could always turn to and rely on in times like this. He was someone he could tell anything to and could readily get advice from. That... would be so comforting right now.

But she shouldn't even be fazed.

What else would she expect from the too-talented Hong Yoora? The girl had dreams she wasn't willing to let go just yet. Someone who was stronger than her, who didn't let that moment break her as much as it did to Jiwoo...

"Jaehyun-sshi, are you distracted?"

At the particular name, the brunette picked up her head and glanced over to the set. They were filming the first segment for the song, right when Jaehyun was supposed to hop out from the window and sing along to his part at the beginning of Firetruck. The denim-clad boy looked speechless.

How many retakes did he have done now?

Four?

Jiwoo stepped forward to the film director with a ice-cold bottle of water in her hands. "Sorry, director-nim, but shall I give him some water? Maybe the coldness would energize him."

The stern-looking man glanced at her for a brief moment before waving his hand to allow her. She quickly said her hellos to the other members before reaching Jaehyun, who held a frustrated expression. "Jaehyun-ah, what's wrong? You're not usually so out of it for these things."

"I'm fine," he answered as he thankfully took the bottle and took sips of it. Jiwoo then carefully dabbed away the droplets of sweat that were beginning to form along his nose and forehead. "I'm just... worried."

"Worried about what?"

"About you." The comment sent a flaring sensation into the pit of the girl's stomach. She eyed him, cautious and a bit flustered at the reply. "I should be asking you if anything's wrong. Did something happen?"

"Ey, don't worry about me," she waved him off. "It's literally nothing, I'm just overthinking some things." The unchanging face showed that he didn't quite believe her words. She bared a small smile at him in hopes to assure him that way. "I'm okay."

"Are you sure?"

"I am! Why don't you worry about the music video, instead, hmm? I won't forgive you if you have to do another take of this part, alright?"

Jaehyun gave her a nod. "I got it. But..." He placed a hand on her shoulder. Instantly, Jiwoo's heart rate shot through the roof. She began to inwardly curse herself because, really, what was that? "Please don't keep in whatever is bothering you. Talk to Minah-noona, or Seokju-sshi about it..."

She wants her heart to stop pounding so hard. "I told you to just worry about the music video. I'm watching you, Jaehyun!"

A cocked smile. "Alright, make sure to just keep your eyes on me."