Chapter 16: Words Don't Come Easy

The next day, they held yet another episode for NCT Life. Jiwoo had been busy with Dream activities, and so there had been a lack of updates of her friends. Yet, arriving to the Korea House once again, in the spacious kitchen where the boys will be spending their time, there was still that off aura happening. Even when she scurried about the kitchen, secretly putting up talismans in hidden places and leaving grains of salt at the corners of the room for good luck, it didn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong.

Ever since Doyoung and WinWin had been eliminated the first round, they had been distributed as personal assistants for first place and runner up. (Jiwoo was very happy to see Jaehyun winning first.) But since Doyoung had his own individual activities, he couldn't be here, leaving Taeil alone to his work for the first half of the shooting.

Jiwoo kept an eye open on the group, trying to figure out more by just observing. Their special guest, Chef Kwon, had returned to teach the NCT boys how to make bibimbap. They were off to make their own, following his very directions. And while this happened, she went through the process of her interviewing the boys again, going from station to station to get their input for the current mission at hand.

She made sure to stay focused on one girl in particular.

Minah was back at it on bouncing back and forth from member to member, Yuta and Ten specifically, striking up conversation whenever they weren't the focus of the cameras. But... the older girl barely batted an eyelash in Taeyong's direction, purposely would pass by his station and straight to Taeil's. Jiwoo frowned at this phenomena before her.

Did they fight or something?

The fact this had lasted more than a day irritated Jiwoo. She didn't mind it the first shooting, but right now? It was a bit ridiculous.

She had tried to talk to Taeyong about the matter when the cameras weren't on him as he was making his own bibimbap. In his tone, the composer could instantly tell that he was defensive over the mere question. He said that they were fine, but the sound in his voice said otherwise. As she tried to pry a little more on the matter, Taeyong completely dismissed it and then offered if she wanted to try the spinach he delicately flavored with the spices he was supposed to add.

How could she decline?

After noting how good the vegetable was to her tastes, he bared the widest, most sunshine smile as he thanked her. Again, it caught her off guard and she hated that he had that kind of effect just because of how unbelievably handsome he was. She saved herself and moved on to another station.

That was until she was being called over by Ten.

Jiwoo quickly approached the Thai member when he was managing the mushrooms of the dish. It was actually before they started recording, she had come to Ten to discuss this weird distance between Minah and Taeyong. They had agreed that the lad would talk to the stylist, while as she spoke to NCT's leader. Jiwoo assumed that Ten was actually Minah's second closest guy friend out of the entirety of NCT, so it was a safe bet to let him in on her observations.

"Ten... did you get anything out of Minah?" Jiwoo whispered to the Thai boy. She stood close so they could have their desired conversation. Her eyes were glued to the ingredients he had for the dish... it was a bit worrisome to watch him cook with little to no experience... but who was she to judge?

Much to the brunette's bewilderment, Ten had an amused smirk on his face at her question. He turned to look at her, his hands full of the mushrooms. "Jiwoo-yah, we're Minah's best friends, aren't we?"

She held a confused expression but she merely nodded. "And Taeyong?..."

"Nope."

"What do you mean no?" Her eyebrows furrowed at the response. "You can't tell me they aren't best friends, I've seen them interact with each other--"