Chapter Twenty-Eight

A/N: Hey all! Thank you guys so much for reviewing, favoriting and following this story. This one is actually my first TVD story that's reached 100 followers and I'm completely ecstatic about it. :)

Thank you all for reading and enjoy Ch.28!

Within Temptation-Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Caroline, what happened tonight at the diner? Who were you talking to on the phone outside?" Klaus asked her, leaning against the door frame leading into the bedroom as he watched his wife pack up their things, throwing all of her clothes into a huge pile with tears streaming down her face.

"I betrayed someone that I used to care about, Klaus...I've become someone that I never wanted to be…What else do you want me to say." Her voice broke as Klaus pushed off from the door frame and walked towards his wife, out stretching his arms to her when she shook her head and murmured out. "It was never supposed to be like this, we had promised each other that we'd be best friend for the rest of our lives. She's going to hate me when she finds out what I did, the things I confessed about to them, the things I said about her..."

"What did you do, Caroline?" Klaus asked her, tilting his head to the side as Caroline gazed up at him with water eyes and then she stammered out. "I told the police that Katherine's the prime suspect in Elena Gilbert's shooting. I told them that it was Katherine's car that was seen driving off from the hospital because it was...Klaus, she's involved with this,Katherine's involved and I just turned on her- my own best friend- without even thinking twice about it, just like that! I turned on her and I did it without even thinking about the consequences of it all."

"Caroline, are you sure of what you saw on that television screen?" He asked her, placing both of his hands on to each side of his wife's shoulders as tears ran down her face and she bit down on the inside of her cheek.

"I'm sure of the car. But, I don't know who was driving it….I don't know why I said it was Katherine..I just...I thought it was easy to pin it on her...She doesn't deserve it though, she doesn't deserve to be thrown under the bus like that." Caroline told Klaus, feeling her body being pressed into a tight embrace as he held her in his arms and soothed her cries.

"It's okay, we're going to fix this before she finds out. I'm going to fix it." Klaus told her, kissing her forehead before he stepped away from her and took his cell phone off the end table in their bedroom, heading towards the kitchen.

"Klaus. Who are you going to call?" Caroline asked him in a hushed tone, following him into the kitchen and watching as her husband placed his hands on to the counter top, heavily sighing before dialing a phone number and placing the phone to his ear as Caroline glanced up at him in shock when Klaus announced. "Hello, Stefan...We need to talk, it's important."

"Klaus. Hey, it's been a while." Stefan commented in a surprised tone, as he slide out of the bed that he was laying on with Elena. Stefan leaned down, kissing her cheek before he made his way out of her room, closing the door behind him as he heard his friend and business partner speak with a serious tone.

"Listen, I know that we haven't spoken in a while about personal things and that these last few weeks have been tough for you and everyone. But, that's the reason I'm calling. I wanted to see how Elena was doing and if we have any leads as to who might have done this to her."

Stefan inhaled sharply, leaning his back against the wall as he looked up across the way, at the Television in the waiting room that was reporting about the weather.

" Elena's okay. But, she's going to need a lot of time and surgeries to repair the damage, physical therapy and maybe even counseling..She's alive though, which I'm thankful for. The police officer that I'm working with is an old friend of mine, we grew up together. And, she actually has some leads from a reliable source. If that's why you're calling me-." Klaus cut him off with a brisk huff of a breath when he added. " I know that it's Caroline, the source that gave your friend information. Stefan, that's actually the reason why I'm calling I wanted to tell you that she isn't even sure that it was Katherine. She saw the news report and got a little confused. If you could pass that along to your police friend. that would be very helpful." Klaus told him, hearing a sigh come out of Stefan's mouth.