Chapter Seven

Within Temptation- Chapter Seven

" Just make sure that you don't fall in love with him. Her husband, that is. Because, he's not what he seems. Now, have a nice night, Mrs. Salvatore." Those words rang in her ears, searing themselves inside of her brain as Elena leaned against the wall, closest to the bathrooms. She was ready to face them all again, after a few long and drawn out breathes. Elena Gilbert was surely ready to keep up the charade. Although, there were a few obstacles in her way and one of them was coming her way at the moment.

"Katherine, ah. There you are." Elijah told her, adjusting a button on his suit jacket as he walked closer to her, smiling with eagerness in his eyes.

"Elijah. I-" Elena began to say. She hadn't been expecting to see him, she hadn't been really wanting to see him. It was all because she was more focused on getting back to Stefan and finishing off their dance, making a few more public appearances with him and then calling it a night.

Yet, Elena suddenly felt herself being pushed back up against the wall by him, his hands lingering on the middle of her back as he pressed his moist lips against hers, silencing her thoughts. She didn't move, braced herself against the small space between the bathrooms and the hallway. The only thing that Elena was thankful for was that she couldn't be seen by anyone really and it was a good thing.

"I've missed you." He mumbled, running his hands through her curly hair, frowning a little when Elena looked away from him and towards the bathroom doors. She was shaking, her whole body was in shock at the sudden rush it felt around him. "Elijah, you should go back and be with your wife. I've missed you too. But, we shouldn't do anything here. Not while our spouses are in the other room." Elena said in a reasonable tone. She was trying really hard to reason with him. But, instead she heard him laugh, felt his hands travel to her thighs, lifting up the yellow fabric through the slit in her dress.

"I guess you're right. But, you can't stay away from me forever, Katherine. I love you." Elijah told her in a taunting tone, kissing her cheek and backing away from her with a smile on his face.

Elena stood there for a moment, inhaling a sharp intake of breath that stopped when she heard the conversation Elijah was having in the hallway with an all to familiar voice, that Elena knew all too well. "Hey, Elijah. Have you seen Katherine? I haven't seen her since she went to the bathroom, over 20 minutes ago." Stefan commented.

She closed her eyes tightly, exhaling a breath through her nose before she began walking, coming around the corner to be met with his worry filled eyes. For a brief moment, it was as if Elena could hear his breathing stop, the sound of his heart drop inside of his chest and just for a second. She swore that he wasn't seeing her as Katherine. "Wow, you look. Absolutely. Beautiful." Stefan said, brushing past Elijah, giving him a small pat on the back when he made his way towards Elena with a grin on his face, pulling her towards him.

"Are you feeling okay? You know, if you're not. We can just skip the rest of the night and go back home." Stefan offered, touching her cheek with his hand, softly pushing a strand of her curly hair behind her ears.

"No. It's fine. I'm just fine. I've missed you though." She told him, her brown eyes locking on to his. The words, her words. They didn't feel so forced anymore. Yeah, it hadn't been that long since she had embedded her way into the lives. But, there was something that Elena felt between her and Stefan from the start of it all and it certainly wasn't because she was pretending to be Katherine.

Elena moved her hands so that they were around his neck, molding her body to his more, a smile on her face when Stefan looked down at her dress, licking his lips. That same look of desire and hunger from earlier in the day filled his eyes when he looked up at her face, leaning in to her and kissing her lips softly. Elena could feel her heart racing, her trembling hands wrapping herself closer to him as she pulled away from him for a moment. Securing her gaze onto his face for a second, neither of them saying a word.