Chapter Twenty-One

A/N: Hey readers! SO sorry that I haven't updated in a while. But, hopefully this update will make up for it. :) Thanks so much for being patient with me and for reading!

Enjoy!

Within Temptation- Chapter Twenty-One

"You'll be alone, forever." Katherine huffed out an annoyed breath as she thought about Elijah's words. It was harder than she thought being back in the city that she had loved so much. Chicago had felt like her home for years. But, now..things felt out of place. She felt out of place and she would do anything to just feel as powerful as she once did.

Maybe Elijah had been right all along, she really didn't belong anymore. Katherine dubbed 'the Queen of Chicago.' By all her glitz and glory, all the people who gushed over her- about how wonderful she was. Was now looked at in a different light-mostly by her inner circle. Katherine was now seen as the woman who faked her own kidnapping and had been double crossed by her own sister.

And, she wanted it to change, she was desperate for her tarnished image to change. Although, she knew that her scheming ways wouldn't allow for her to do so. At a young age, she had learned to lie and as she got older, she had become one of the best damn liars that anyone had ever seen, scheming an manipulating until she got exactly what she wanted. It got her everything, lying had gotten Katherine all the way to the top of the high class social ladder and she didn't want to lose her title of being so well known in the city. She was ready to stop at nothing to get what she wanted, even if it meant hurting the ones that were the closest to her- including, her once darling husband...Stefan.

Katherine pushed her way into Dasells through the glass double doors. Smiling to herself as one of the guards named Henry waved her through with a polite smile. "Good evening, Mrs. Salvatore." He said, watching as she pulled out a $50 dollar bill from her white clutch and she leaned towards him, asking. "Can you give me the key to my husband's office? He left some things behind and I know that none of you usually allow anyone back here at all at this time of day. However, what I need is very important." She smiled sweetly at him, batting her eye lashes as the thin and dark jet black haired security guard nodded at her.

"Okay. But, just this once." He commented, handing her an extra key card that Stefan had.

"Thank you, Henry. I'll make sure that my husband gives you a very well deserved Christmas bonus, this year!" Katherine winked at him, pivoting on her heels and hurrying to the elevators.

As the doors closed and she pressed the button to go up to the 5th floor, she leaned her head back against the elevator car and exhaled deeply when she pulled out her cell phone, her fingers hovering over his name.

It hadn't taken very long to get to where she needed to be and when she stepped out of the elevator, her expensive purple Jessica Simpson pumps hitting the carpet, she straightened out her black pencil skirt and her white long sleeve thin blouse that exposed her black tank top underneath before walking further down the hall. Katherine smirked to herself as she glanced around the empty hallway and walked straight to Stefan's office. Her fingertips hovered over this name that was engraved into a plaque on the door. Katherine exhaled, sliding the key card and pushing the door open until it creaked open and she switched the lights on.

Stefan's office faced a few of the largest city sky scrapers, a few floors up allowed the ceiling to floor windows to get a lot of light during the night time and it illuminated the room. She inhaled deeply as she smelt the smell of him, his own musky smell that was mixed with a hint of scotch. She knew that he didn't drink anymore. Although, when she walked over to the large wooden oak desk in the middle of the room that was faced towards the overlook of the city, she sat down in his dark brown leather chair and exhaled deeply, running her hands over the wood in front of her and quietly wondering if he had any scotch left over in his office. Because, if she needed to get her plan to work, she needed a drink first.