Prologue

A/N: Hey all! So, this is my newest story that hasn't left me alone for months now and I just thought that I would get started on it since one of my other fanfiction's will be coming to an end soon.

Anyways, It's a bit more darker than other things I've written before and it has a lot of complicated relationships tied together in different ways. Oh and parts of this story will be M rated for smutty scenes. I might change it to be all M rated later. But, I'm still not sure.

So, this is just the prologue for it and if I get enough people interested in it. Then, I'll continue with it.

Disclaimer: I do no own the Vampire Diaries in any way. I just use the characters for my own enjoyment! ;)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Within Temptation- Prologue-

Deception- The action of deceiving someone. Deceit. Fraud. Delusion. Cheat.

Elena Gilbert was a fraud and a cheat amongst a lot of other things. It was written all over her face as she stared into the mirror and placed the expensive silver necklace that he had given her for tonight around her neck, exhaling deeply when she spun her thin and olive colored fingers around her now bouncy and overly curly dark brown hair.

It was haunting, the image looking back at her with her thickened dark eyelashes and smoky eye shadow. She looked just like her, Katherine Salvatore. Katherine was one of Chicago's most affluent and educated women in the large Illinois city and yet, somehow as it was reported in the news just a year earlier. Katherine, wasn't able to protect herself from being kidnapped in broad daylight. You see, the thing was that Katherine Salvatore also hid a very dirty little secret and no one knew about it except for Elena Gilbert. That was now stepping into the shoes, of one of the most powerful, wealthy and talented women that Chicago had ever seen.

"I can't pretend to be her anymore, this isn't right. I need to tell him that I'm not her and I need to do it tonight." Elena mumbled to herself, slipping off the necklace and staring intently back at her reflection. It was uncanny, the resemblance between them. But, Elena knew why. It was because the two women, who had never had the chance to meet in their lives had one thing in common, their blood line. Katherine and Elena were identical twins. Although, if you had known the girls your whole life. It was still fairly hard to spot the differences between them. Until you looked close enough.

Katherine, the woman that Elena adored and had dreamt of meeting ever since she found out about her, just a year earlier was more of a feisty and to the point type of person and when she lied, she did it well. However, Elena on the other hand had a heart of gold and was overly compassionate and concerned for others. Never a very good liar at all. But, all Elena wanted was to meet her sister, whom their parents had separated when they were babies. She dreamed about telling Katherine all the things she had gone through, all the struggles she had endured while she lived in numerous foster homes. But, she hadn't planned on meeting her sister in this way. Not in taking over her life an assuming her identity, not in seeing Katherine's face plastered on every single tabloid, almost all of them saying that she was dead. However, part of Elena feared that it was true, that impersonating Katherine would be the closest she would ever get to knowing her.

"Katherine?" Elena heard the voice coming from behind their bedroom door, a man's voice with its husky raspy tone and her stomach instantly flipped at the sound of it. She knew who it was and part of her wanted to disappear, vanish right into the floor boards of the Salvatore's home that was once a rundown hotel. Which they had split up with a pair of friends that all lived under the same roof.