Chapter 6

You know that voice in your head that tells you what to do? Some call it instinct some call it a conscience. It’s there to help you but all mine did was left me there glued to the seat and my head reeling for questions.

                I looked over at Jake letting my eye’s plead for the help I desperately needed.

                He saw my look and put a finger to his mouth motioning for me to keep quiet.

                That’s when it hit me, my dad wasn’t dead. Jake is my brother. And my mom lied to me. I quietly scooted my chair from under the table letting Jake look over at me questioningly.

                “I have to go…” I slowly left the house tears daring to fall from my eyes.

                I wasn’t paying attention to where my feet were dragging me until I realized I was lost, and a good five blocks from the house. Not looking yet I heard a car stalling beside me as I walked I turned my head and never before have I been so relieved to see that familiar Porche Panamara.

                “Need help?”  He shouted over to me.

                 I thought about it for a minute but just kept walking he wasn’t forgiven quite yet.

                “Look Anna I’m sorry. I know I over reacted, I shouldn’t have tried to control you!” the sincerity rang clear in his voice.

                I stopped and his car did too.

                “Fine,” I rolled my eyes, hiding the smile that threatened to come over my lips. I wasn’t sure yet if he was forgiven, but I was sure happy he saved my arse.

               I sat back in the seat and wiped away some of the tears that were still streaming down my eyes, as I silently listened to the radio absorbing the sound instead of letting it out. Aaron turned down the radio and glimpsed at me once in a while. “What’s the matter?” he paused “what were you doing way out here?”

                “Aaron I don’t want to talk about it!” I snapped a little hastily.

                He sat back in his seat and let out a frustrated sigh before refocusing on the road.

                “I’m sorry I shouldn’t have snapped but can you please take me home?” I started scratching my arm a nervous habit I picked up around 6th grade.

                “Ok.” He sighed again dejectedly.

                The rest of the car ride was silent except for the soft music playing in the background I felt my phone vibrate I looked at the caller id and put it to voice mail no way in hell was I talking to my mom right now.

                I looked over at Aaron and a cocky grin was smeared across his face.

                “What?” I asked trying to keep the infectious smile off my face.

                “You know I’m supposed to be watching you so she has my number, she’s going to call me.” He chuckled.

                Almost right on queue his phone started blaring out “I write sins, not tragedies” by panic at the disco.

                “Hello…” he answered “no, she’s next to me…” I waited “I don’t think now is a good time… ok, I’ll tell her you said hi.”