35. The Island of Blessings

I cover up my bruises with makeup but the dark colors still hint at harm on my skin. I adjust myself, still wearing Mads's shirt and my high waist jeans.
I go down stairs and out the back door to the stone deck. Josh waves me over and I reluctantly sit next to him, across from the happy couple.
I order a salad and as I eat I listen the conversations around me.

"I'm glad you were able to cover up that bruise," Kristi says examining my face.

"I hate wearing makeup but if it doesn't show up in the wedding photos, I'll do it," I say smiling.
Kristi frowns at her words.

"Oh Allison, thats not what I meant. I'm sorry," she says shaking her bead in shame.

"No, I know, I was just saying that I would hate to look back and see my face bruised in the photos," I say laughing.

I continue to eat and chug down my water. My nervousness is obvious but I try to hide it nonetheless. Mads was probably watching me from a distance. I worry about his temper but I have to sit here and hope for the best.

"You alright?" Josh asks. I nod as I continue to nervously chug my water.
I could feel his eyes on me, watching my every move.
I stop drinking and oddly shift in my seat. I feel an odd sensation come over me, like I shouldn't be sitting here.
Has he gotten in my head?

I look around the deck as Will and Josh chat about their wild times on the football team. I see a few people walking around, some familiar, some not. I look around some more until I spot the dark eyes staring at me. Mads stands next to my father, drinking beer and talkng. Mads and I stare at each other for a couple seconds until he returns to the conversation. I turn back to Will and Kristi and excuse myself from the table.

"It's really hot out here. I think I'll go inside, cool down," I say standing up.

"Maybe you should go for a swim," Josh says smirking and gawking.
Will slaps his hand on the back of Josh's head.

"I don't care if you two are...whatever it is that you are...but she's still my sister," Will says annoyed.

"Whatever we are?" I ask bemused.

"We're not anything...he's your friend," I say confused shaking my head. Josh begins to chug his beer nervously.
Will smacks Josh's head again.

"You shit! How long were you going to play this joke on me?" Will asks. Josh chuckles, still nervous as he clutches his bottle.

"Just for a while. It was fun seeing you so pissed off," Josh says.
Still confused, I look over at Will.

"What did he tell you?" I ask.

"He said that you two were starting to date, kind of. He said you two were together," Will chuckles.
I shake my head.

"Never! He is like a cousin," I say with a giggle.

Josh chuckles as well, however I can tell he is angry and nervous still.
I walk away from the table heading inside the great hall. Cool air hits me. My skin crawls at the idea of what Josh might do in anger. I swallow hard and continue to walk through the hall passing by people until I reach the hallway. I head to the bathroom, I swing the door closed behind me but instead of closing, it swing back open. I turn to see why it didn't close but suddenly hands grasp my hips and push me away, facing the wall. I hear the door close and lock. My heart races and I feel my face press against the cool wall. Weight is pressed against me. Warm air falls along my neck as I hear the breathing of the figure behind me. I try to look but the pressure on my body forces me to stay in place.
My breathing quickens, my eyes burn, tears of fear try to fall but I close my eyes trying to hide them. I cringe as the hands grip my thighs tighter.