23. The Island of Bliss

I didn't want to tell Mads. Knowing his temper, and remembering how he had threatened Troy after I fell down the hill, Mads would probably kill Josh. Of course lying to Mads made me feel terrible, I knew that it was better than seeing Mads in handcuffs.

I couldn't sleep. The constant remembrance of Josh's hands on my throat, his words in my ears his grip on my body, it all replayed in my brain. It was nearly 2 am. I laid in bed looking up at the ceiling, my throat sore, my wrists ached. I sat up in bed and gathered my thoughts. Swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, the plan struck me. Mads said he was always in his office, sleeping, working or reading, or at the gazebo.
I stood up and grabbed my black silk robe, tying it around me. I grabbed my key to the library and slipped out the door and down the stairs as quietly as possible. I moved swiftly, the idea of seeing Mads brought a smile to my face.
I unlocked the door and slipped inside, closing and locking the door behind me.

Mads laid on the nook, half of his legs dangled over the edge. A book laid open on his chest, his eyes closed, his mouth slightly agape.
I took the book off of his chest, placing the book mark that laid beside him in the book.
Jane Eyre.
I smiled briefly at the cover then placed the book on his desk.
I grabbed a throw blanket and placed it over his large muscular body. He was so peaceful, not angry, nor hungry.
A smile came across my face as I leaned down and pressed my lips on his forehead, his skin so soft against my lips.
When I leaned up Mads began to move, his eyes slightly opened as he tried to wake up.
Squinting, he tried to examine the stranger in the dark until he finally realized I was not a stranger at all.
A smirk lay on his lips, his hands came out to me, reaching for mine.
"Come here." His words simple yet meant so much.
I grabbed his hands and he pulled me onto the nook, grasping the base of my neck and pushing my head on his chest. 

He moves the blanket that I had placed on him, pulling the covers over me.
I feel his lips press against my head as I closed my eyes, listening to his heart beat.

"Can't sleep?" He asks.

"Not at all." I answer.

"Whys that?"

My heart sank. I couldn't tell him. His anger, his love, it would cause him to go into a blind rage.

"Nothing...just can't sleep." I mumble as I place my hands around his body.

"Hmm...you know, in just a month, I've learned so much about you. Like the fact that you look away from people in conversation because your scared of what they will say. Or how you enjoy slight pain when I taste you. Or how you love wine but hate the idea of drinking alcohol. Or..."

He trails off. I liked hearing him say these things. It makes me think that maybe he actually likes me, more than just sex.

"Or...or how you stop mid sentence because you're lying or hiding something." His words pierce my ears.

He knows.

Of course he knows! Why on earth did I think I could hide anything from this man.

Mads grips the back of my thigh and pulls my bare leg over his body and begin to move his fingers up and down my skin. His other hand moves from my forehead through my hair soothingly. I am in heaven. I close my eyes and listen to his heartbeat, his breathing, his voice. My grip on his body becomes loose as I begin to drift asleep. 

"Allison?" He says, trying to get the answer from me. My body relaxes into him and soon I am in a state of bliss that I cannot return from. 

When I wake up, the sun is seeping through the dark curtains of the library. Mads sleeps in the same spot with my head on his chest. I look up at him with a smile. He is so peaceful when he sleeps. I can't help it, I reach my head up and place a kiss on his cheek, but that of course wakes him. 

"Good morning, elsker." I smile but shake my head at him.

"What does that mean? You keep saying that word." 

He groans groggily, pulling me closer to him. My entire body now lays on his. 

"It's a danish word." He says smiling. 

"I figured...but what does it mean?"  He stares at me when I ask. Suddenly his lips grasp mine in a tight hold. I kiss him back, molding my lips to his. I open my mouth and give him access to my mouth. His tongue seeps through my lips and he begins to play with my mouth. I let out a muffled moan which encourages him to roam his hands up my robe. 

"No pajamas? I like that..." He mumbles after pulling away from our kiss. His hands begin to grip my ass, rather tightly. I hear him sigh suddenly. Is my ass not good enough? not big enough? 

"I am so very confused, my dear." He says. I tilt my head as a bemused look falls over me. 

"About...about us?" He nods slightly but then shakes his head. 

"I'm confused as to why you, God's most beautiful creature, are laying here with me." I smile and begin to look away from him, in shame of not telling him the truth. 

"What is it, elsker?" He says returning me from my thoughts. 

"Nothing...just...we have less than five weeks left, three of which will be spent apart."  He sighs again. His hands begin to cup my face. 

"I know...it's funny how I was worried about this wedding at the beginning but for all the wrong reasons. Am I a bad person for wanting them to call it off so that way I can keep you?"

My heart breaks. I want him, all of him. I want to stay on this island and lay in his arms for as long as I can. This wedding is a curse, even though it brought us together, it was a completely terrible thing. I shake my head, trying to convince myself that I too was not a bad person.

"No...we're just...we just are blind." 

"If this is being blind, then I'll be blind forever," He says. 

I would break every rule for this man. I wanted him all to myself. I didn't want to tip toe around and worry about others finding out. I needed a week (hell! I needed forever, but that wasn't going to happen) all to myself. Three weeks was too damn long. 

"What if I come back in a week..." He shakes his head. 

"I'll tell them that I am making sure everything is delivered and being taken care of so that way Kristi doesn't have to worry about it. I'll come here in a week, you'll have me all to yourself," I explain. He smiles lifting his gaze to the ceiling. 

"Kristi will want to join you."

"That week she has to much going on, to many parties, she's meeting some of my family from out of town, she'll have too much. I'll convince her." 

He sighs but continues to smile. 

"God, there is nothing that I want more than to have you all to myself..."

Are these symptoms of falling in love?

A/N:

Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Let me know what you think.

Please, vote, comment, share and follow for more.

Lots of Love

-Annelie Leddy