Poems - 85.

Chapter 85

(Judy Hopkins in a field of flowers, 1962)

"Adria!" the melodic laugh of her mother filled the young girls brain, sending a wave of giggles to engulf her whole, she threw her head back in happiness as she allowed her mother to grasp her, picking her up from the ground where she lay in the field of dasies, "look at the beautiful flowers, my dear!"

Adria clutched to her mother, her hand wrapped around her neck and a wide smile attacking her lips. The flowers surrounding them where so bright and beautiful, but no beauty could compare to the mother and daughter amongst them, bright laughs falling from their lips as they danced around.

Judy felt like a child again as she danced with her own, her hand gripped tightly in her daughters who clung to her, her head thrown back as they spun around, feeling the sense of excitement buzzing around inside of them.

"My beautiful girl," Judy whispered, caressing her daughter's cheek, "do you like the flowers?"

Adria giggled in response, stumbling when her mother set her down beside her, and just like that, the world had turned, as though flipped upside down.

The flowers had vanished, replaced with a low smoke that clouded Adria's feet, and when she turned, she watched her mother fall into a hole that Adria couldn't see. With her eyes wide and a gasp leaving her lips, Adria ran to her mother, coming to a stop when she looked down the hole to see the mahogany coffin opened, her mother's pale, lifeless body looking up at her with dead eyes.

­-

A gasp left Adria's lips as she jolted away, her hands clutching the quilt of her bed in the darkness of the girl's dormitory. Around her, her best friends slept peacefully, unaware of the nightmare that just occurred in Adria's mind.

She had been having them recently, not so much every night but a few times since she had gotten back to Hogwarts on the first of this month was she having them. She worried that she couldn't confide in her friends, she wasn't being a very good one to them recently, mostly she kept to herself.

But sometimes, you would see her with Arden, someone's company she enjoyed because she could have conversations with the girl, and the only person who had to responded verbally was Arden. She wasn't up for talking much, she barely uttered a word to anyone, to the point where McGonagall felt it right to ask if she was okay, if she needed someone to talk to her.

Which she responded with no.

She didn't need anyone to talk to, she didn't need anyone else to see her crying like she had been since the death of her mother, she felt pathetic, weak even, that all she could muster was a sob from her lips and tears from her eyes when there was so much strength in other people.

She grabbed her pillow from her bed, and with a shaky sigh she decided to leave the dormitory. There was always one person she could confide in, no matter the length of time she had spoken to him, he was always there, no matter what. So, as she descended the stairs to the common room, she didn't have to move very far when she climbed up the cold stone to the boy's dormitory.