Poems - 24.

Chapter 24

The school year for Adria was considerably uneventful, it was a cold night in march as she curled up on one of the Gryffindor sofas with her notebook that she got for Christmas resting against her legs and her pen tapping softly against the paper. Remus had left for one of his monthly disappearances and the curiosity ate Adria alive, and even though she was friends with the boys now, it seemed as though they had made a vow not to tell her anything.

She was trying her best to think of something to write down for her book but she was having a rather hard time coming up with a poem she liked, which didn't make her sound stupid. She was thinking about Remus, and the secret she knew he was keeping from her and wondered if writing about that didn't make her seem like a bad friend. She respected Remus' privacy, but she liked to think she was just as much his best friend as the boys where, and well, they knew.

Best friends should never have secrets
but you keep this one from me?
I promise you I would keep it
for all eternity.

It wasn't the best poem she had ever come up with, but her mind was swarming with a million other things for her to think straight. She heard something near her as she attempted to turn the page and turned to see Sirius reading her notebook over her shoulder.

"Sirius-"

"Is that about Remus?" he asked, his tone held no emotion and it was a voice she had never heard from him before, so much so that it worried her.

"Is Remus keeping secrets from me?" Adria asked smartly, her eyebrow raised as she closed her book over, which she had enchanted herself to burn people just like her old notebook which was tucked away in her trunk.

"You know full well that he has a secret, Adria," Sirius said, a look in his eyes that she tried to ignore.

"Well then I guess it is about Remus," she said, pushing herself up from the sofa to head to her dormitory. Sirius allowed her to pass, before he grabbed her arm for her to stop.

"I would've told you, but I really can't." He whispered, causing ant bitterness that she had seconds before to drop as she stopped herself from walking away.

"I'm not mad at Remus, Sirius, it's his secret and I respect that," she sighed, "it's just- I thought he was my best friend-"

"He is one of your best friends, Ads." Sirius sighed, taking a seat on one of the arm chairs whilst she returned her position on the couch, now turning to face him.

"Yes, but so are you, and James, and Peter and you all know this big secret, surely that must say something." She sighed, her fingers lightly tapping on the surface of the notebook.

Sirius thought for a moment, he didn't understand himself why Remus hadn't told her his secret. He knew how Remus was, that he was terrified of losing anyone he loved, but Adria was the most understanding person he had ever met, and surely her out of anyone else would know that Remus was always just Remus, "He'll tell you, Ads, and honestly I'm surprised he hasn't already."

"Why can't you tell me?" she asked, her head tilted slightly.

"Because just like you, I respect that Remus has secrets and just because I know it doesn't mean that I can tell anyone. I love you just as much as Remus does, Ads, you're my best friend too, but I really can't tell you." Sirius sighed, running a hand through his black hair which he suited much better than the red.

"That seems fair," Adria nodded, "and I love you too, Sirius." She clasped a hand over her heart jokingly whilst Sirius rolled his eyes.

"You're becoming too sarcastic." He grumbled, leaning back on the arm chair to warm himself up more.