Chapter Thirty Eight

" Allah will keep firm those who believe, with the word that stands firm in this world ( i.e. they will keep on worshipping Allah alone and none else ), and in the Hereafter. "

                                      Qur'an 14:27

All eyes were on me and I looked down shyly. We were in the garden where all my high school classmates were sitted. I didn't know they had planned alot. There was a canopy, and chairs were arranged neatly with drinks and snacks on the tables.

My classmates were not much, around fourty of them. When we first went out, there was silence and the tension was thick. I could see the looks of surprise on their face. Some were surprised at how I was dressed, some at how I looked and some at me, showing up.

Ahmad didn't let go of my hand and I used my other free hand to drag the oxygen bagpack behind me gently.

The others went to take a seat also and I was left with Ahmad on the stage (one of their doings also).

Ahmad squeezed my hand gently and I smiled gratefully at him.

"Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh!" I greeted them all.

The Muslims among them replied in the appropriate manner.

"Good evening everyone! And thank you for coming."

Silence! That was all I got from them.

I sighed softly "I...I..." I trailed off when I saw Mady making her way towards me.

I froze when I saw her expression, it was missed with anger and pain. Ahmad stepped in front of me protectively.

Jason also made his way towards us. She stopped in front of us and glared at me with hatred visible in her eyes. She was still the same and had not changed that much.

Her blonde hair fell down her shoulder. She was standing at 5'7 inches and was a little thin. Her face was cooked up with make-up and she looked good. Though she was wearing a tank top and a short skirt.

Jason stopped beside her "Go back, Mady. She has something to say, when she's done...you can talk to her."

"Stay out of this Jason." She declared coldly.

I smiled "She's right. Stay out of this please. This is between me and her." I stated.

"Sweetheart..." I interrupted Ahmad.

"Please. I know what I am doing."

He reluctantly agreed and stayed beside me.

Jason convinced Mady and she went back with him.

"I am thankful you all showed up today. I know that you wouldn't have come if you knew I was the one who asked to see you all. I know some of you...scratch that...many of you here hate me."