Growing up with him

Joey and I have been friends from the very beginning. It wasn't even us who started our friendship. We would have to thank, or I'd say blame our moms for being highschool "besties" that stayed together throughout the toxic memories in their adolescent years. It's bad to say that over the years of our moms friendships, they are practically soulmates since they both were pregnant at the same time. They were so pregnant together, that they gave birth at about the same time.

This is where Joey and I come along. We shared birthdays, and stories on who was born first. I wouldn't say it count, but I swear I'm older, despite the time zones we were in. It's not my fault that my mom moved away when she was pregnant. Either way, Joey and I grew up together. And it was all fun and games, until...

_

" Joey!!!!!!! Where are you???? Hurry up before I'm telling on you. We have to go to school already. You know how I hate being late," I yell up the staircase. Sophie, who's Joey's little sister snickers at me before walking out of their house.

"Okay, my gosh... Someone's having a jumpy morning. Hope nothing happening to this one," he smiles and messes up my hair while we walk out of his house. Today was my mom's turn to drive us to school.

Though we might be the bestest of friends, and everyone sees that we come out of the car together, we go along with our days at school pretending we don't know each other unless needed. Sometimes it bad, some people think that my mom is their nanny, and I just tag along because I'm the nanny's daughter.

The school day goes by, and since none of us know how to drive yet, Joey and I walk home together, while Soph gets picked up later in the afternoon for afterschool activities. At least around this time, we don't pretend we don't know each other.

"Did you do the homework from Ms. M? Because I forgot to do it, and a bunch of other homework too," Joey asks me while were walking.

"Dummy, why did you forget to do your homework?" I look at him dead in the eye. "I literally give you the answers all the time."

"But Ms. M is making me redo the homework with EVIDENCE. Like its common sense miss," Joey scoffs as he gives me the teacher's note. "Its either that or she's gonna make me do an in-school test with everything from this semester."

"I put the explanations on the homework for a reason Joey. You can't just put only the answer," I explain to him in a baby voice. "Don't worry. You know I gotchu."

"thank you so much. Ur my lifesaver Anna." he hugs me in a chokehold.

We continue to walk to his house, and once we get there, the promise of helping doing homework does not happen at all.

"You know in homeroom, my teacher said were gonna have a new student tomorrow and she's gonna be in at least both of our classes 3 times." Joey says in excitement, which I don't want to understand why. "Ms. Simmons told me to show her around. And then I have practice after school. It's gonna be a harsh day for me tomorrow."

"Please don't play with this one. I already feel bad for the other girls. Like you don't even understand the pain I have to go through. I lost a bunch of friends because of you." I roll my eyes.

"yeah you can say that... Imma go outside and meet up with some friends. Just wait for soph to come back. better yet, go to your own home." he looks down at his phone as it rings.

"But I'm so lonely there. And there's no food." I groan into a couch pillow. "just take a break from trying to get a girlfriend. Its not gonna happen. I'm just gonna stay here and cuddle with Bella." (omg his other dog ; only OGs remember)

When sophia came back, we hung out and actually did homework because I'm her only motivation to do homework. And that's the enjoyment you get for being very boring and bland. After that, I leave their house and stay deprived of loneliness in my home until the next day.

_

It was the next day, and I never got to see Joey and Soph because my dad decided to drop me off this time around, since he came home in the middle of the night. It's been three weeks, and to make up for it, a drive-thru breakfast at dunkin donuts was a way he would repay. At least I get to pull up to school with actual lunch today.

"hey anna, you know what, we have a new student yah" joey says once I answer my phone.

"I know I saw her. She's in some of our periods." I roll my eyes as I continue walking home. "She looks like she might play you, rather than you play her."

"but she's hot though," Joey sighs

"and you're a simp." I said, disturbed

"her name is Anastasia," Joey's voice softens.

"I know she's I'm my elective class and history class and my PE class. You were there dumbass." I roll my eyes again.

"I gotta make a move on her," joey quickens. "Gotta get back to practice. Bye Anna."

"whatever," i speak to myself once he hung up.

And here the story ends. The neglected family-friend that will forever never get a chance with her childhood best friend. I know that it's hard, but now its just having to be there for him either way, even though it might hurt. I liked joey for the longest time possible, but I think he just thinks of me of one of the homies, or even a sister. I honestly don't know.

______

author's note

So I am editing this story because I'm bored in quarantine. Sorry I'm 4 years behind editing this. Enjoy :)