Chapter 29

When Negan woke up, his head felt heavy and it pounded severely as if he had fallen asleep drunk. He woke up stark naked on the bed where he remember falling asleep with Tully in his arms. However, as he got up, he noticed Tully was nowhere in sight. Before Negan could assume that she had woken up ahead of him and left the room to be with Molly, he took note of a folded piece of paper on the bed, right on the spot Tully had occupied. He reached for the piece of paper and unfolded it, revealing the long writing that was written neatly.

Dear Negan,

By the time you read this, Molly and me are long gone. I don't have to explain why I packed Molly and my things and left. If your daughter had been nagging you for days, claiming that she does not want to live in the Sanctuary anymore, you would do the same. I also made a promise to Emily like I told you before and I need to fulfil that promise, even if I die trying. If I failed as a mother to our baby and to Carly and Jamie, then it's only right that I make everything right and make up to my mistakes by being a better mother to Molly. While you are reading this letter, I'm currently looking for a better home for Molly and me. Maybe we would find a community that will truly feel like a community and not a cult ran by a man who thinks that he's above everything.

I always hoped that you would change. I thought that I could change you and I was wishing that the birth of our baby would help change your morals and your beliefs. I care for you so much and because of that, I wanted you so badly to change into a better person. I wanted you to abandon your ideals but I realise now that you wouldn't. You say you care for me and Molly but if you really do, you would have realised that your actions are bad and damaging. The reality is, you wanted to rebuild civilisation so badly with your morals and beliefs that you care about this and yourself more, that's why you can never change your ways. I understand though and it doesn't make me love you a little less, I still love you very much.

I know you'll be looking for us and you probably want to kill me right now but we're very far away already by the time you read this letter and everyone in the Sanctuary are probably just starting to wake up. I stole a large dose of drugs from the infirmary and I slipped it on everyone's food so all your people were pretty knocked out when Molly and I left. As for you, I injected you with a small dose of the same drug. I hope no one overdosed, I did my calculations so I'm sure no one did. Anyway, I took one of your trucks, a couple of guns and a small supply of food. I hope you don't mind. I'm going to make sure the gates are locked too when we leave.

Again, I'm sorry for breaking my promise that I will be with you forever. Maybe we're not meant to be together in this world and if that's the case, I want you to know that you will always be in my heart. The thing about motherhood is that you make sacrifices for your children and I have to do that for Molly. I'm sorry if I've hurt you by choosing Molly over you. If I ever broke your heart by doing what I have done, I'm sorry, I really am.

Love always,

Your Candy

******

Frantic, desperate and berserk, Negan spent the evening on the road with his men. He dispatched groups from every corner of his territory to search for Tully and Molly. A lot of his men, including poor Patrick from the infirmary got an earful from the angry Negan who demanded to know how she managed to successfully escape. He knew she was a dangerous, unpredictable, strong-willed woman but he clearly underestimated her. Her fear made her do unimaginable things that Negan would never know she was capable of until she actually committed it.

It was the following day when the truck that Tully stole had been spotted. Negan raced to the scene but was left devastated and angrier than he was before when he saw the vehicle empty. They had clearly abandoned the vehicle and took a different one because Tully knew that he'd easily find her if she kept the truck. Negan knew that as soon as he found the truck it simply meant that Tully's trail has already gotten cold. There was a small note left on the driver's seat of the truck, written in runny black ink and addressed to Negan. Frustrated and irked, Negan left what she had left him with.