Chapter 2

The woods were quiet and serene. It was also a dangerous place for anyone who might be unfamiliar with its harsh terrain. Trees that stood for many, many years, congregated all over the place. While it was easy to get lost in a place where the vegetation only seemed to grow thicker and wilder the deeper you wander inside it, there was another threat... a much more dangerous threat. That threat came in the form of the horrendous growling creatures with decaying bodies that bore the stench of death. Lost, they wandered the woods, starving and desperate for a meal. Most of the wild animals that once sought solitude in the woods were long gone, they were either devoured by the hungry walkers or they have fled and sought shelter someplace else.

She led the men into woods. While half of them stayed behind with the truck and the motorcycles, the rest, including the leader followed her closely. Her hands were tied behind her back like a common prisoner as they followed her closely with one of them pointing a gun to her head as a precaution. For a while, she walked quietly, leading the men deeper into the woods.

A few minutes later and she stumbled and tripped, landing face first on the ground. A few of the men laughed at her but they were quickly silenced after a quick glance from their leader. "Help the clumsy lady up, for fucks sake," Negan exclaimed.

Upon his command, the man who had been pointing his gun at her helped her up. No one anticipated nor expected it when she knocked the gun off his hands with her own head before she bolted and fled for her dear life. "Hold your fucking horses," everyone seemed shocked as Negan proceeded to laugh while they all watched the figure of the woman disappear into the thick vegetation. "She won't get far, let's not waste our precious fucking ammos on her," cockily, he claimed. "Now why don't one of you pricks radio the others."

******

She had been running for several minutes when she finally realised that no one was following her. Panting heavily, she finally slowed down to look around. There was nothing. The woods looked peaceful and it was eerily quiet. She knew she ran a fair bit and had distanced herself away from the armed, intimidating men and she considered that as an advantage. Sighing to herself in great relief, she took a different direction that led her deeper into the heart of the woods.

What could be called her 'camp' soon came into view and she found herself running towards it. Under a large, ancient tree were four people waiting for her return. They had nothing, not even a tent to call the spot under the tree their camp. All they had were the things in their bags. One of them was pregnant while the other three were mere girls no older than ten years old.

"S-She's going to give birth," one of the girls told her once they saw her approach. They untied the rope that bound her hands. The girls caught sight of her bloodstained shoulder and they clearly looked panicked at the sight of her injury.

"It's fine," she assured them before turning to the pregnant girl. "How are you feeling, Emily?" she asked the pregnant girl. She was only a teenager going through her first pregnancy.

"I think my water broke when you were gone, the baby's coming, Tully," sweaty and clearly distressed, the pregnant girl declared. She lay on the ground that was littered with fallen leaves, writhing in pain.

The woman Emily referred to as Tully began to help her with the well-behaved girls. They had nothing and it was definitely not a safe place to give birth in the woods. In fact, there was nothing sanitary about it too. Sooner or later, the smell of blood or the newborn's cries would attract walkers within the perimeter. Tully had no experience whatsoever when it came to helping a pregnant girl give birth, she had only seen movies with women giving birth and that didn't help her with her current predicament.

"I guess you should start pushing now," she told Emily, perhaps the most cliché order she could give her sister. Emily tried, once, twice and several more times until her sobs grew uncontrollable.