Chapter 23

hey everyone! 

i'm sorry i haven't updated. I got carried away during the Christmas period and i completely forgot all about updating.

anyways, thanks for your patience and here's a new chapter :)

******

"Why did we leave, Mommy?" Molly asked as the four gathered around a small fire that Tully had started. They had been walking for hours as far as Tully was concerned so she had called it a night and started a fire under a large tree on the side of the road.

"Because the Sanctuary is not a good place for you girls and the baby," replied Tully. "Look, I think Negan is a good Dad to all you girls but he can be a bad person sometimes and I can't allow you all to see that."

"But where will we go now?" Jamie asked.

"I don't know," admitted Tully. She was hopeless but she cannot show her girls that. "I promise you girls, we'll find a place, a better place." She smiled at her girls, hoping her words would comfort them even if it did very little to comfort her.

"I'm scared, Mom," announced Carly who embraced her adoptive mother tightly. The girls and Tully have not been out of the Sanctuary's safe walls for many months and as a result, they have all forgotten how frightening it was to be out in the open where they could be attacked by rogue humans or hungry walkers.

"Don't be, I'm here and I'll be looking after you and your sisters," assured Tully.

It was late in the evening and Tully watched over the girls as they tried to sleep. It was hard to do so, especially if you are aware that you're out in the open where you can be attacked and killed easily. Tully hummed lullabies and told the girls stories. Hours probably passed before they had finally fallen asleep, leaving Tully the only one awake. She cannot sleep. Like their old life before they joined Negan's group, she had to stay up at night to make sure her children are safe. Besides, there was a part of Tulley that was suspicious that somewhere in the woods, she was being watched by Negan's men and possibly Negan himself.

Tully stared at the gun on the ground next to her. She almost killed Negan. A part of her hated the very idea of hurting Negan while another part of her was grateful she had threatened him the way she did to let him know that he had no control over her anymore. She was not Candy, the woman who relied heavily on Negan and the woman who promised to be with him forever. She was Tully, the headstrong woman who would do anything for her children. However, what Tully wanted to know was whether Tully and Candy felt the same for Negan. Are Tully and Candy both in love with Negan?

Tully felt her belly and sighed to herself. If she was indeed in love with Negan, she can no longer do anything about it. Her children's needs comes first and her needs come second. Tully's train of thoughts were eventually interrupted by the sound of the leaves rustling. Automatically, she reached for her gun and looked around. She found nothing but she knew there was something lurking in the woods. Could it be Negan and his men who were about to forcefully take her and the girls back to the Sanctuary? A few minutes passed and the rustling continued and the more it continued, the louder it got. Soon, Tully heard a noise that made the hairs at the back of her neck rise, it also made her heart thud faster than ever before. It was the sound of a collective moaning coming from only one type of creature she could think of. From the sound of it, there were many of them.

Hastily, Tully woke up the girls as she put out the fire and gathered their belongings. Sleepily, they followed their mother's orders as she ordered them to get to the road where no trees would abstract them but as Tully quickly realized, it was her biggest were greeted with a large herd of walkers wandering aimlessly during the late hours of the evening. The sight of them terrified Tully who initially assumed that the walkers she heard were coming from the woods but as it turned out, the herd was so large that they were coming from both the woods and the road. "Not that way, girls! This way," shouted Tully as she picked up Molly, leading the way as they all fled from the approaching herd. It seemed like the herd had detected their presence, whether from the commotion they have caused trying to flee or from their scent but whatever it was, the herd had picked up its pace and was after Tully and her girls.