Chapter 9

Tully's heart was soaring with pride three weeks later since she moved to the Sanctuary. She just paid her big debt to Negan after earning enough points. She owed Negan because he had provided her with the medicine she needed to get her shoulder injury treated despite Tully lacking enough points to afford it. As soon as she earned enough points to pay for her debt, she proudly informed him about it. She was very proud of her achievement. She certainly knew that it made him realise that she wasn't like his wives. She wasn't feeble and she was certainly independent enough to fend for her and her girls without relying on him.

"Well, I'm fucking impressed, Candy," Negan admitted. "I'll give you some fucking credit. I've seen you work your ass off harder than some of my fucking men."

Tully blushed at his compliment. "Thank you," she smiled. She was very proud of herself and she felt even better knowing she was rubbing her achievement on his face.

"I found some stuff the girls might like," he told her as he pointed at a pile of comic books on his desk. Tully can't help but look at him with a surprised expression on her face.

"You don't have to-..."

"Calm down, Candy, it's fucking free," he assured her. He had his dimpled smile on his face again and Tully once again wondered how he could have such perfectly straight teeth. In fact, someone like him didn't deserve the cute dimples he had, she thought to herself. "It's not for you, it's for the girls," clarified Negan, "they have been working their little asses off too and to be fucking honest with you, I like your girls, Candy, I never had kids of my own and those girls are fucking awesome." She blushed.

"Thank you, Negan." He nodded his head, letting her know he was dismissing her. Quietly, Tully gathered the comic books that Negan donated to the girls and left the room. While she was delighted that she paid off her debt and Negan seemed impressed about it, a part of Tully was still a little intrigued and suspicious towards Negan's interest in the girls.

Three weeks of living in the Sanctuary and her girls were content with their new life. Tully could sense that leaving was nowhere near their priorities at the moment and perhaps it never will be. Although the girls had to do chores to afford their basic necessities, they enjoy the Sanctuary overall. Tully noticed lately that the girls were fairly popular in the compound and anyone they encountered would know at least one of the girls. They were friendly and also hardworking. Sometimes, Tully felt bad that they had to follow her around and help her do some arduous chores. It would often leave them exhausted, particularly the youngest, Molly but they never complained, not even once. They know the drill to be able to earn their keep. Tully often fantasised the day when her girls no longer have to do laborious chores to afford their life but she knew that it will just be a fantasy unless she accept one particular offer that can make all their lives a lot easier in the Sanctuary.

While Negan stopped bringing up the offer she rejected, Tully had been hearing a ton of gossips from Jenny and Sarah whenever she was working in the kitchen. Gossip circulated fast in the compound and Tully was grateful that Jenny and Sarah were her bearers of juicy news. The word was that Negan hasn't slept with any of his wives for almost two weeks. It was clearly unusual because if it wasn't, Sarah and Jenny wouldn't be talking about it non-stop. They found it very intriguing that Negan stopped sleeping with his wives all of the sudden when most people in the compound were aware that beforehand, Negan would often select different women in his harem every night to sleep with. Tully found it little odd too and hoped to hear the reason why from Sarah's and Jenny's mouths soon enough.

******

The following day, the kitchen was busy as always. There were about seventy people to feed and in a couple of hours, the dining area would have a queue of people waiting to be fed. Tully wiped the sweat off her brows as she busied herself chopping the vegetables with Jamie's help. The two youngest girls, Molly and Carly, monitored the large pot that contained boiling hot water and a bunch of potatoes for the mash. Jenny had just walked out of the room in a coughing fit, the cigarettes were slowly killing her.