Chapter 6

The Sanctuary did not have one of the most precious resources after food and clean water...a doctor. However, what they have was a fairly large amount of medical supplies that can be considered as equally important in the new world. Negan trudged into a room that has become the Sanctuary's infirmary with an unconscious Tully in his arms. The closest they have to a doctor was the veterinarian Patrick, a middle-aged man who looked after the infirmary and the group's medical supplies.

"What happened to her?" Negan demanded as he expectantly waited for Patrick's response. The woman now lay on the infirmary bed and one touch informed Patrick that she was burning.

"She has a fever," he told Negan.

"I fucking know that Patrick, I meant how the fuck did she get it?" Negan replied irritably. He watched as Patrick checked the unconscious woman for any other injuries and he quickly noticed the bulky bandages wrapped around her right shoulder hidden by her clothes.

"I'm going to need her shirt off to see what's going on with her right shoulder," Patrick announced as he looked at Negan for permission. Negan nodded his head in response and Patrick began to unbutton her flannel shirt. As soon as he opened up her shirt and her bra-clad torso was revealed, a strong stench welcomed Patrick and Negan. The smell only grew stronger as Patrick began unwrapping the linen bandages that were already stained with her blood to reveal her wound. The fact that she was still bleeding was a give away that her wound wasn't healing and as soon as he unwrapped the bandages, Patrick immediately saw the current condition of her injury.

"It's badly infected," Patrick declared.

"Yeah, I can fucking tell," Negan muttered irritably.

"Well, I believe that the infection caused her fever," Patrick explained, "Her wound is very bad and I will have to stitch it up because it won't heal any time soon-..."

"Get on with it, stop talking and just do your fucking job," Negan interrupted, annoyed and impatient.

Waiting outside the infirmary were the three girls who looked at Negan with a hopeful glint in their eyes when he stepped outside while Patrick treated Tully. He asked them if they wanted to watch Patrick stitched up Tully's wound and he was surprised when the girls claimed they wanted to stay by her side. Therefore, Negan ended up bringing the girls with him inside the room as Patrick was busy with the process of treating Tully's badly infected wound. The room was soon enveloped in silence as Patrick concentrated on the task at hand and everybody else looked on.

Negan glanced across him and saw three quiet girls sitting next to the bed. "So let me get this right, she adopted all of you after the shitstorm happened, right?" he began to wonder out loud. He had been itching to have that theory confirmed. Not only was Tully too young to be a mother of three girls since she looked like someone in her 20s but none of the girls resembled each other, one had blonde hair and blue eyes, the other had fiery red hair and freckled face while the oldest of the girls had straight black hair and olive skin.

"Yes, Mr. Negan," Carly, the blonde replied politely. Realising that the girls would answer any question he would throw at them, Negan continued.

"Did any of you know her before she took you all in?"

The girls exchanged looks, it was clear to them that he wanted to know things about their adoptive mother. While they were intrigued by his motives, Tully often told them that they have to be obedient and polite to their new leader to stay on his good side. "Well, Mrs. Tully, her Mom, was the school principal and we were all together when the monsters arrived," the red-haired Molly recounted.

"Where are your real parents?" he wondered out loud and he saw their faces drop when he brought up the topic.

"They never collected us from the school," Jamie the oldest, was the one who replied. Negan was surprised by this answer. He thought that they simply died. "Tully went to pick up Mrs. Tully and Emily, her sister and Mrs. Tully didn't want to leave us so they took us in."