Before & First Year

AN: Another HarryPotter!AU because of reasons, but before you proceed, I'm sorry but there's this big-ass Author's Note. You can skip it if you want to where there's the "#", it will signalize the beginning of the story.

I've been wanting to write another HarryPotter!AU for months (since I watched Fantastic Beasts), a more complete one (whatever that means) and between those months I've seen and debated with people about Juvia's House and I think the common census is that she is a Hufflepuff now. (I emphasize the "now" here because I think she has changed since she was eleven.)

As much as I would love to have my baby in my House (Go, Hufflepuff!) I maintain my opinion she's a Slytherin, I wrote her as such and since I have a couple of hours of travel in a bus ahead of me, I'll tell you why.

When we saw her for the first time, she was part of the Element Four, the strongest enemies Fairy Tail had encountered so far and Mashima was trying very hard to make us all believe they were the worst. In Hogwarts, the "main" houses to have a fight going on for centuries are Gryffindors and Slytherins. I think Mashima would've made all Element Four into Slytherins just to make a point of the war between houses and only later on introduce the fact that no, Slytherins are just ordinary and they aren't necessarily bad just because they are driven people.

Besides, I think Juvia would've done well in Slytherin, a House where people like power as she was a powerful child, and for the first time that power would make her feel good about herself instead of a freak. So yeah, I think young Juvia would've enjoyed her power a little too much; because of her need to be liked. It doesn't make her less kind, less wonderful; just focused on something else as a young girl.

Later, when she started her feelings towards friendship with the people from other houses and falling in love with Gray, she'd get in touch with her Hufflepuff side and be the amazing Personification of Hufflepuff we see today. She'd be eleven when she knew she was a witch, an impressionable orphan trying to be liked. Five years later, she's a different person, we all would have been. I'm sure Peter Pettigrew didn't get into Gryffindor the scumbag he turned out to be. Dumbledore fell in love with one of the darkest wizards to ever exist and flirted with the dark side. Snape, a Slytherin through and through, loved so deeply his whole life orbited around the son of the woman he loved with a man he hated. Draco was a brat at the beginning and had redemption. Cedric was chosen to be Hogwarts' champion at the Triwizard Tournament even though his house wasn't known as "the bravest". Helena Ravenclaw, gave the location of the diadem to Tom Riddle because her emotions got over her mind, even though she was supposed to be smart about everything.

People are not one quality or two. There are many layers, people change, life changes us and our personalities. And yes, I realize this argument can be made the other way around to make me see her as a Hufflepuff from the start, but I don't care. It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. 😁

And there's another important reason I wrote her as a Slytherin that goes beyond what I think canon would've given us: I like it that way. Yeah, it's that simple to me: I think it's a better story. I'm not going to write something most people might think it's right just to get points or whatever just because it's more popular or better received. I really love my headcanon, I think I can make it work, it makes sense in my head and I like the drama of a Gryffindor and a Slytherin falling in love and overcoming prejudice build for centuries, I like their own internal battles, their own prejudices being overthrown.