8. The Silence Ends, Change Is Near [edited]

Later that week at the CW studios, I handed McKenzie the Chinese that she made me get while she was going through papers finalizing everything for her press tour thing with some actors from a show that she worked for.

"So how is your mother doing?" McKenzie looked up at me from her laptop.

I stopped looking through the food and glanced back at her.

"I'm just wondering how things are with her..."

"She doesn't know what to do. It's been a long time with him and now she is just alone."

"I'm sorry about that Victoria."

I nodded my head at her as I grabbed the rice, "Yea life does suck sometimes."

McKenzie nodded as she mixed up her chicken, "What about you?"

I shook my head back at her.

"I'm serious Victoria that man meant everything to you and now this is reality. How are you?"

I sat back in my seat, "I woke up this morning to let Zeus out and I saw the photo next to my bed. It was when I got back from my first trip and he was waiting for me at the airport. Mom got the photo of me running to him. He never cried in public and he just balled like a baby that day. I mean it was different back then."

McKenzie shook her head back at me, "Losing parents is like the only thing in this world that hurts the most. I mean you just can't get that pain out of your heart. It's always there. It always just a hole in your stomach that you can never fill."

I nodded my head at her, "You lost your parents a while ago wasn't it?"

"I was 22. I came home from a tour and I walked into our Texas house to find their bodies in the bedroom. It was the worst day I have ever had."

"That was when you walked away from the life...."

"The fucking Mexican cartel sent guys after my family, our protection wasn't that great Victoria. Why do you think I pushed for you to get the fuck out?"

I shook my head back at her, "I know you did."

"It took a bad attack for you to walk away. Do you know how lucky you are that you are alive?"

I glanced back at her when the door was pushed open to her office.

I glanced over at the girl that walked over to McKenzie.

McKenzie looked down at the paper then back at her, "Have you called them about this?"

"I was told that you would do that." The girl said as she turned and left the room.

McKenzie smiled at her, "Of course, let me call them and tell them the fucking news. This department is throwing me under the bus and I can't wait to get off the road."

I looked at her, "What is going on?"

"The press tour is starting in Vancouver, well turns out that we now have another 3 hour long Q&A since so many people signed up and the company wants to satisfy the viewers."

"3 hours, that is insane." I said back to her.

"I am already ready to say fuck you to everyone in this company."

"Why don't you just walk away?"

McKenzie laughed back at me, "I don't have a magic wand like you do. I mean look at my reality."

I mixed up the chicken on my plate, "You could have fun. We could travel."

"I travel already."